Default engine dies as soon as its put in gear???

wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:49:44 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:04:38 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:49:52 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:23:55 -0400,
wrote:

The symptom described, if on a smaller motor, requires removing the
top engine cover, and turing a screw about 1/8 of a turn or less.

Not anymore. These new motors are usually EFI and there isn't a screw
to turn. He said "pontoon" so I am thinking midrange (40 and up)
As I said earlier, on my Merc the idle speed is controlled by the
computer via a pulsed solenoid valve. The throttle body is completely
closed. If you pull the hose off the idle control solenoid you can rev
the engine up by controlling the air you let in by holding your finger
over the end of the hose. The computer will adjust the mix to the
amount of air it sees on the MAF sensor and what it sees in the oxygen
sensor.

For the VERY last time - I said on SOME SMALLER MOTORS. My smaller,
newer, 4-stroke motor has a CARB with adjustable needle valves.

And that is suitable for a pontoon boat?

Depends on the pontoon boat, and what you intend do do with it, but
sure it would. What does a 25 foot pontoon boat weigh? My "smaller"
4-stroke outboard pushes a 5000 pound displacement hull at hull speed
at about 1/4-1/3 throttle.

OK. I will get back to you guys next week on what the actual problem is. I
haven't been under the cover on this one at all yet.

Chuck

On Sep 19, 5:59�pm, "Chuck" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Chuck- Hide quoted text -

We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor
idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or
reverse gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of
adjustment???

Chuck

Just a silly thought, but If the original post had included useful
info ("pontoon boat" isn't useful, neither is "new Honda 4 stroke")
like something about the year, size type and HP of the engine, FI or
carb equipped, this might have been resolved already.

Mike

Chuck- Hide quoted text -

We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor
idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or
reverse gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of
adjustment???

Chuck

Just a silly thought, but If the original post had included useful
info ("pontoon boat" isn't useful, neither is "new Honda 4 stroke")
like something about the year, size type and HP of the engine, FI or
carb equipped, this might have been resolved already.

Mike

For sure... problem is its 30 miles away from here and its my best buddy's
boat. He is not sure of any of those details or I surely would have
included them. Will have all the info next week.

"Chuck" wrote in message

Chuck- Hide quoted text -

We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor
idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or
reverse gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of
adjustment???

Chuck

Just a silly thought, but If the original post had included useful
info ("pontoon boat" isn't useful, neither is "new Honda 4 stroke")
like something about the year, size type and HP of the engine, FI or
carb equipped, this might have been resolved already.

Mike

For sure... problem is its 30 miles away from here and its my best buddy's
boat. He is not sure of any of those details or I surely would have
included them. Will have all the info next week.

OK... as promised here is what I found. Engine started perfectly and revved
up in neutral. Engine barely had enough idle speed to keep running.
Removed the engine cover and tried to adjust the idle speed screw but it was
frozen. The solution: Bent the metal tang that the idle speed screw rests
on up slightly toward the screw to make the adjustment. Idle speed was
consistently 1000 rpm. and we drove it away. Thanks guys.

Chuck wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message

[...]

1000 RPM seems a bit high for an idle speed.

[...]

Hmmmmmm........ it seemed right at the time. What is an acceptable idles
speed for a four stroke outboard?

Chuck wrote:
[...]

Your manual might tell you. The two I've owned idled at 650-700 rpm.

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:51:40 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

1000 RPM seems a bit high for an idle speed.

Hmmmmmm........ it seemed right at the time. What is an acceptable idles
speed for a four stroke outboard?

My experience with car engines is that six to seven about covers the
usual range. All modern cars are FI which will idle at a lower speed
than bad carburation. My race car burns methanol, has no flywheel,
[there is a U-joint bolted direct to the crankshaft], and idles at
about 2500. And if you goose it in neutral, it grows a foot diameter
fireball at the tips of the headers.

Casady

1988 OMC Cobra Stern Drive Engine (6 cyl, 4.3 L) Starts, Dies, is Hard to Restart. frank1492 General 10 August 25th 07 11:56 PM
Engine dies. Bayman1 General 3 November 7th 05 02:53 PM
Engine dies- Putters when trying to plane- engine under under heavy load Bora Cider General 4 May 18th 04 04:12 PM
Standard 80W90 gear oil vs. Marine grade gear oil ????? D.B. General 2 April 25th 04 04:12 AM
Put into gear = Engine shuts down? Tony Thomas General 2 July 20th 03 12:19 AM