Boater Boater is offline

Default engine dies as soon as its put in gear???

Chuck wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message

Chuck- Hide quoted text -

We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor
idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or
reverse gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of
adjustment???

Chuck

Just a silly thought, but If the original post had included useful
info ("pontoon boat" isn't useful, neither is "new Honda 4 stroke")
like something about the year, size type and HP of the engine, FI or
carb equipped, this might have been resolved already.

Mike

For sure... problem is its 30 miles away from here and its my best
buddy's boat. He is not sure of any of those details or I surely
would have included them. Will have all the info next week.

OK... as promised here is what I found. Engine started perfectly and
revved up in neutral. Engine barely had enough idle speed to keep
running. Removed the engine cover and tried to adjust the idle speed
screw but it was frozen. The solution: Bent the metal tang that the
idle speed screw rests on up slightly toward the screw to make the
adjustment. Idle speed was consistently 1000 rpm. and we drove it
away. Thanks guys.

1000 RPM seems a bit high for an idle speed.