Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Eisboch: this one's for you

John McCain Makes Spanish Gaffes During Interview
Posted September 18, 2008

By Juan Gonzalez
Daily News Staff Writer

Where is Spain, John McCain?

Republican Presidential John McCain showed some confusion Wednesday
night about the identity of the Prime Minister of Spain and exactly
where that country of 40 million people is located.

In an interview with a Florida affiliate of Spain's Union Radio, McCain
was asked, if elected president, would he invite Spanish Prime Minister
Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero to the White House.

"I would be willing to meet with those leaders who are friends and want
to work with us in a cooperative fashion," McCain said. He then
mentioned Mexican President Calderon, who he said "is fighting a very
tough fight against the drug cartels."

When the reporter repeated that he was talking about Spain, McCain
responded: "I know the issues, I know the leaders."

Asked again if he would invite Zapatero, McCain shot back:

"All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with
leaders in the Hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to
those who are not and that's judged on the basis of the importance of
our relationship with Latin America and the entire region."

Spain is a longtime NATO ally, has nearly 1,000 soldiers fighting with
the U.S. in Afghanistan, and was the target one of the worst Al Qaeda
attacks in 2004.

- - -

I hope when I am 72 I am not suffering from addled brain syndrome.

Larry, this one's for you. Roger Long Cruising 13 August 26th 08 11:11 AM
And another one's gone Joe ASA 56 May 7th 07 11:28 PM
Putitng one's money where one's mouth is... NOYB General 1 July 4th 04 02:14 PM
This One's for Scotty Bobsprit ASA 19 May 8th 04 05:34 AM
Hey, Booby, this one's for you. jlrogers ASA 42 January 27th 04 12:40 AM