posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats,alt.impeach.bush
HK HK is offline

Default Palin uses magic 8-ball to answer questions

Palin Uses Magic 8-Ball in ABC Interview
Offers Three Answers to Eighty Questions

GOP vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin said today that she was
"delighted" with her performance in a much-publicized ABC News interview
with Charlie Gibson and gave credit to her "trusty Magic 8-Ball" for
helping her come up with answers to "some darn tricky questions."

"Charlie brought his A-game, that's for darn sure," Gov. Palin said
after her interview. "That's why it's a good thing I had my Magic
8-Ball with me."

During the interview broadcast on ABC, the Alaska governor was seen
shaking her Magic 8-Ball after each question before responding to Mr.
Gibson.

All in all, Gov. Palin responded to over eighty of the ABC newsman's
questions with only three answers, believed to be a record for a
nationally broadcast interview with a major political figure.

"Terrorists are hell-bent on destroying us," Gov. Palin said no fewer
than nineteen times.

"I believe that America must do what we can to be strong," she said
fifteen times.

"Reply hazy - try again," she said nine times.

Occasionally, she attempted an adlib, usually the word "Charlie," which
she used over one thousand times.

All in all, Gov. Palin said she was "pleased as punch" by her
performance, despite having told Mr. Gibson that the United States
should invade Russia.

When asked by reporters where she got her answer to the Russia question,
Gov. Palin replied, "My Magic 8-Ball got stuck on that one, so I asked God."

On the campaign trail, GOP presidential nominee John McCain said he was
"thrilled" with Gov, Palin's performance, adding that she would be
shipped to Alaska and frozen in a block of ice for the remainder of the
campaign.

From

www.andyborowitz.com

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:10:28 -0400, HK wrote:

[...]

I saw most of it, and although it's humor, this is a surprisingly
accurate portrayal!
posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats,alt.impeach.bush

September 11, 2008
Analysis: McCain's claims skirt facts, test voters
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:33 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- John McCain's campaign keeps telling voters that
Sarah Palin opposed a federally funded Bridge to Nowhere that, in fact,
she originally supported. It accuses Democrat Barack Obama of calling
Palin a pig, which did not happen.

Even in a political culture accustomed to truth-stretching, McCain's
skirting of facts has stood out this week. It has infuriated and
flustered Barack Obama's campaign, and campaign pros are watching to see
how much voters disregard news reports noting factual holes in the claims.

That voter reaction could help determine who wins this presidential
election and influence the strategies of future campaigns.

Politicians usually modify or drop claims when a string of newspaper and
TV news accounts concludes they are untrue or greatly exaggerated. Sen.
Hillary Rodham Clinton, for example, conceded she had not come under
sniper fire in Bosnia after a batch of debunking articles subjected her
to ridicule during her primary contest against Obama.

McCain's persistence in pushing dubious claims is all the more notable
because many political insiders consider him one of the greatest living
victims of underhanded campaigning. Locked in a tight race with George
W. Bush for the Republican presidential nomination in 2000, McCain was
rocked in South Carolina by a whisper campaign claiming he had fathered
an illegitimate black child and was mentally unstable.

Shaken by the experience, McCain denounced less-than-truthful
campaigning. He even apologized to journalists for his own reluctance to
criticize the flying of the Confederate flag at South Carolina's state
Capitol in a bid for votes. When the so-called Swift Boat Veterans for
Truth attacked the military record of Democrat and fellow Navy officer
John Kerry in 2004, McCain called the ads ''dishonest and dishonorable.''

Now, top aides to McCain include Steve Schmidt, who has close ties to
Karl Rove, Bush's premier political adviser in 2000.

McCain and his running mate Palin, the Alaska governor, were defiant
this week in the face of fact-checking news reports. Day after day she
said she had told Congress ''no thanks'' to the so-called Bridge to
Nowhere, a rural Alaska project that was abandoned when critics
challenged its costs and usefulness. For nearly a week, major news
outlets had documented that Palin supported the bridge when running for
governor in 2006, and she turned against it only after it became an
embarrassment to the state and a symbol in Congress of out-of-control
earmarking.

The McCain-Palin campaign made at least three other aggressive claims
this week that omitted key details or made dubious assumptions to
criticize Obama. It equated lawmakers' requests for money for special
projects with corruption, even though Palin has sought nearly $200
million in such ''earmarks'' this year.

It produced an Internet ad implying that Obama had called Palin a pig
when he used a familiar phrase, which McCain also has used, about
putting ''lipstick on a pig'' to try to make a bad situation look
better. McCain supporters said Obama was slyly alluding to Palin's
description of herself as a pit bull in lipstick, but there was nothing
in his remarks to support the claim. Obama accused the GOP campaign of
''lies and phony outrage.''

The lipstick wars were fully engaged when the McCain campaign produced
another ad saying Obama favored ''comprehensive sex education'' for
kindergartners. The charge triggered the sort of headlines becoming
increasingly common in major newspapers and wire services monitoring the
factual content of political ads and speeches.

''Ad on Sex Education Distorts Obama Policy,'' was the headline on a New
York Times article Thursday. ''McCain's 'Education' Spot is Dishonest,
Deceptive,'' The Washington Post's ''Fact Checker'' article said.

Major news outlets have written such fact-checking articles for years.
''But in the last two election cycles, the very notion that the facts
matter seems to be under assault,'' said Michael X. Delli Carpini, an
authority on political ads at the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg
School for Communication. ''Candidates and their consultants seem to
have learned that as long as you don't back down from your charges or
claims, they will stick in the minds of voters regardless of their
accuracy or at a minimum, what the truth is will remain murky, a matter
of opinion rather than fact.''

With Palin giving McCain's campaign a boost in the polls, Obama
supporters are nervously watching to see what impact the latest claims
will have. Surveys already show that most people believe Obama would
raise their taxes -- a regular McCain claim -- even though independent
groups such as the Tax Policy Center concluded that four out of five
U.S. households would receive tax cuts under his proposals.

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds defended the campaign's statements. ''We
include factual back-up in every one of our TV spots,'' he said Thursday.

Obama, of course, has made exaggerated or questionable assertions as
well. Earlier this year, for instance, he repeated a claim that more
black men are in prison than in college, after news accounts refuted it.
He also used a McCain remark about having troops in Iraq for ''100
years'' to exaggerate McCain's proposals for being fully engaged
militarily in that country.

In general, however, Obama has been quicker to react to news accounts
challenging his accuracy. Faced with skeptical reports this year, for
instance, he stopped saying he ''worked his way'' through college, and
instead credited hard work and scholarships.

Dan Schnur, a former McCain aide who now teaches politics at the
University of Southern California, said McCain and Obama learned they
must stretch the truth ''when staying on the high road didn't work out
to their benefit.''

McCain, he said, ''tried it his way. He had a poverty tour and nobody
covered it. He had a national service tour, and everybody made fun of
it. He proposed these joint town halls'' with Obama, ''and nothing come
of it. Through the spring and early summer, that approach didn't work.
You can't blame him for taking a step back and reassessing.''

wrote:
[...]

No wonder McCain wants to keep her away from a live press conference
attended by major media. I thought her leaning on Lincoln was both sick
and hilarious.

HK wrote:

During the interview broadcast on ABC, the Alaska governor was seen
shaking her Magic 8-Ball after each question before responding to Mr.
Gibson.

Well, if this is true, she's behind the 8-ball in more ways than one!

However, consider your source:

www.andyborowitz.com

I checked abcnews website and couldn't find a reference to any
discussion of the 8-ball during the Charlie Gibson interview.

Further, they quoted the section where they discussed her supposed
remark the war in Iraq is "a task that is from God," as well as her
supposed misuse of an Abraham Lincoln quotation. Gibson repeated keeps
trying to pin this on her, but her replies in the interview, at least, show
that she never made the dubious remarks being attributed to her!

Dennis

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:20:38 -0400, hk wrote:

wrote:
[...]

When Gibson asked her how she felt about the Bush Doctrine, I think
it was over. She had obviously never even heard of the Bush Doctrine.
After she fumbled and mumbled through a convoluted non-answer, Gibson
finally took pity and TOLD her what the Bush Doctrine was. Since this
was new information for her, and she hadn't been coached with a
prepared answer, she still couldn't answer the question.

Gibson's whole interview was softer than what even a Larry KIng would
have done, and she still failed miserably. This was total softball
lobbing, and she was stiff as a board form being over-rehearsed.
Cramming for the exam doesn't make you look like you know the subject,
except to someone else who knows even less about the subject.

posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats,alt.impeach.bush

On 12 Sep 2008 04:49:03 GMT, Dennis
wrote:

HK wrote:

During the interview broadcast on ABC, the Alaska governor was seen
shaking her Magic 8-Ball after each question before responding to Mr.
Gibson.

Well, if this is true, she's behind the 8-ball in more ways than one!

However, consider your source:

www.andyborowitz.com

I checked abcnews website and couldn't find a reference to any
discussion of the 8-ball during the Charlie Gibson interview.

Further, they quoted the section where they discussed her supposed
remark the war in Iraq is "a task that is from God," as well as her
supposed misuse of an Abraham Lincoln quotation. Gibson repeated keeps
trying to pin this on her, but her replies in the interview, at least, show
that she never made the dubious remarks being attributed to her!

Dennis

YouTube.com - You can hear it right from the lipsticked mouth.

wrote:
[...]

You'd think after eight years of Bush, even the Republicans would want
to have those in or near the Oval Office to have some working knowledge
of the world as it is. Palin is another doctrinaire nincompoop in the
Bush mold.

I loved Palin's responses about knowledge of Russia (it's over there,
you can see it from Alasaka) and her knowledge of foreign nations (she's
been to Canada).

This woman is an insult to every thinking American. She peaked as mayor
of Wasilla, and didn't even handle that job properly.

But, heck, she loves Jesus and is anti-abortion. Perfect attributes for
a person a heartbeat away from the job as head of state.

I wonder if the McBush team is going to let her hold a no-holds-barred
news conference.

wrote:

[...]

This is the problem, a big enough segment of the USA is in that category
to tip an election. To those less
informed people who depend on talk radio sound bites for information,
Palin would appear to " Just what
we need in Washington"
posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats,alt.impeach.bush

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:57:19 -0400, Balanced View

wrote:

[...]

Both parties are well aware of what is known as the "uninformed voter"
demographic. They don't talk about it openly, for obvious reasons, but
it's the largest block of voters.

The real problem is when uniformed voters get elected.

Peter Skelton

Did anyone see Harry's answer to these questions? Jim General 16 July 23rd 08 07:46 AM
Magic MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 6 June 30th 08 03:42 PM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] ASA 1 July 18th 07 10:55 AM
Schoolkids answer quiz questions Bill Tuthill General 1 January 26th 06 06:33 PM
Answer bolts and bolts questions abt year off sailing? [email protected] Cruising 2 October 20th 04 10:25 PM