Default Cobra trim problem solved - another quick question

Thanks Tim - you were right about swapping the 2 pump wires to 12 volts and
ground to test the motor.

I tapped the trim motor with a rubber hammer and it came back to life, so it's
definitely bad.

Can I remove and replace the motor from the pump assembly without it leaking the
fluid out?

This is the motor
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=75298F

Thanks
Larry

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 11, 5:41*pm, Larry W wrote:
Thanks Tim - you were right about swapping the 2 pump wires to 12 volts and
ground to test the motor.

I tapped the trim motor with a rubber hammer and it came back to life, so it's
definitely bad.

Can I remove and replace the motor from the pump assembly without it leaking the
fluid out?

This is the motorhttp://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=75298F

Thanks
Larry

You're welcome, Larry. Usually what happens is that corrosion gets
involved and sticks the brushes int heir holders, either that or the
seal is bad in thepump itself and has filled the motor with fluid.

You probably can take the motor off the pump, but $172.00 loos steep
to me.

Tell you what, I'll call one of my facoret parts houses tomorrow, and
see what a new motor is. I['m sure it's less than that, and if you
want I'll order you one. You'll be getting it at my cost + the
warehouses shipping.

It's a favor I do to folks how hang on rec.boats.

Tim wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:41 pm, Larry W wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the offer Tim but I already ordered the motor from a local source.

The customer wants the boat for this weekend and doesn't care about the cost.
I'm having it shipped overnight (love working for people like that).

So if the seal isn't bad, should I be able to swap the motor without losing the
fluid?

Thanks again
Larry

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 11, 10:33*pm, Larry W wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:41 pm, Larry W wrote:
[...]

Larry- Hide quoted text -

Larry, you shouldn't have any problem. the motor sould come off thed
base of the pump. It might take a bit of jarring, but the pump should
be self contained. Chances are that the armature will fit into the
pump and will couple to the pump via a flattened shaft fitting into a
"slot" inside the pump. The way that motor looks to me is that the
brush assy is located at the base of the motor instead of out on the
end. you can probably do a visual inspection on the brushes when you
get the motor off.

Tim wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:41 pm, Larry W wrote:
[...]

Great info Tim. I'm sure you're right that the brushes are stuck or dirty and if
it was mine, I'd fix it. I understand that most of the people I work for just
don't want any problems.

Larry

On Sep 11, 6:41*pm, Larry W wrote:
Thanks Tim - you were right about swapping the 2 pump wires to 12 volts and
ground to test the motor.

I tapped the trim motor with a rubber hammer and it came back to life, so it's
definitely bad.

Can I remove and replace the motor from the pump assembly without it leaking the
fluid out?

This is the motorhttp://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=75298F

Thanks
Larry

Shouldn't loose fluid, the pump should be sealed from the motor.

Tim wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:41 pm, Larry W wrote:
[...]

I'd hang on to the old motor. A simple disassembly, cleaning, lube, and
reassmebly fixes most dc motors if the windings are not burn out. The
brushes make a mess inside after a while.

OMC Cobra trim problem Larry W General 5 September 11th 08 12:48 PM
OMC Cobra trim problem Larry W General 0 September 11th 08 12:49 AM
ISO: Cobra Trim sender Josh Assing General 0 June 19th 06 05:23 AM
ICOM 802 problem solved Keith Electronics 1 January 15th 04 12:04 AM
Electrocuted (not quite) by outboard. - problem solved! Ian Malcolm Cruising 0 July 25th 03 09:35 PM