Default Damned airboats

I was at the springs at the head of he Wacissa River this afternoon
cooling down on a hot Sept afternoon. From far away you could hear it
coming upriver, another airboat. I hate the damn things. I dont hate
em for going places, I hate the noise. So, is it the prop or engine
that makes all the noise? Could you maybe make an effective prop that
would be less noisy?

On Sep 7, 10:07 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
I was at the springs at the head of he Wacissa River this afternoon
cooling down on a hot Sept afternoon. From far away you could hear it
coming upriver, another airboat. I hate the damn things. I dont hate
em for going places, I hate the noise. So, is it the prop or engine
that makes all the noise? Could you maybe make an effective prop that
would be less noisy?

Get a noise ordinance passed and get it enforced. That's what we did
where I lived in Florida. No airboats before or after certain hours of
the day. We also made a stink about the damned things cruising over and
cutting swaths through the wetlands.

I think they like the noise. Same sort of guys as the ones who remove
the mufflers on their motorcycles and put straight pipes on the little
Japanese cars. Big noise, small dick.

You may be right about them liking the noise. Maybe this is a techno-
opportunity to find a way around the noise generation. A little
searching shows that major noise is from the prop although many boats
have unmuffled engines too. I wonder if putting a cowling around the
prop would work, somebody must tried this.

On Sep 7, 10:12 pm, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:07 pm, hk wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Found a DTIC report (that I do not want to pay for) saying that a
cowling and redesigned multiblade prop will reduce prop noise.
Another report from the nature Conservancy discusses noise and finds
that muffling always helps some. They also say that noise is worst at
high prop tip speeds so it is best to go with a multiblade prop.
Worst noise whn one is attempting to get underway from land or sandbar
or to get unstuck.
So, is this an opportunity for someone to make composite airboat props
with multiple blades to replace all the old ones with two blades?

On Sep 7, 10:41 pm, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:12 pm, wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:07 pm, hk wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I cannot jump on these airboat ppl too much for being ignorant
rednecks, partly because I ma probably related to em and partly
because airboats do have good uses. The Wacissa is a place for em as
the water is often so shallow and covered with hydrilla. It would
really make people like them if the noise could be significantly
reduced. They seem to have enough power to be able to reduce noise
somehow. Maybe radically re-think the whole concept. At very least
put cowlings around the blades so the noise goes up or back rather
than be emitted in all directions.

HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:41 pm, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:12 pm, wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:07 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'll bet "the people" would like the airboaters more if they simply took
their toys somewhere else to play.

I used to trailer to Orange Lake near Gainesville. Nice light tackle
fresh water fishing, quiet lake, and eagles swooping overhead. Then the
place was "discovered" by a pack of airboaters. Well, it was no fun
anymore. Never went back after encountering them a few times.

Best place to airboat would be the canals down where W'hine lives. That
way, you'd get to annoy some folks who really *think* they are
important. The only higher calling than that would be to become a sister
of charity.
Tim Tim is offline

I rode in an air boat once, and I do mean once. and not long. I was
invited to go, and I was sitting tight in front of a 220 hp Lycoming .
Even with ear plugs the noise was deafening. We went about 3 mi. up
the Wabash river, and I tapped the "pilot" on the shoulder and said.
"I'm getting off. he looked at me funny and kept saying A"WHAT?"
WHAT?"

I knew it was too loud. I was wearing a pretty good vest so I just
bailed off!

he circled around and shut the thing down, and I told him I'd float
back. At that moment I didn't care. He took off and I could hear him
all the way back down to the docks. A friend of mine came by in a ski
boat and picked me up.

Like I said, even with ear plugs, I had a head ache for a day and
couldn't quit hearing that fan at night.

I won't do it again.
Senior Member

On Sep 8, 10:37*am, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:41 pm, wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:12 pm, wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:07 pm, hk wrote:

wrote:
[...]

than be emitted in all directions.- Hide quoted text -

WTF? Can't they put a muffler system on them, or is it the blades that
make the most noise?