HK HK is offline

Default I just knew this was coming...and soon

WaIIy wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:35:09 -0400, hk wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..

Got any nice detailed photos of your new boat you can post?
Yup. I can .... but I won't.

Let's talk about boats.

What do you think about secondary control stations located in the cockpit
area?
Do you find them useful, Harry?

Eisboch

I found the cockpit control station very useful on my 25' Parker when
docking and considerably less useful but still usable when underway
ahead. I can say a lot more about that subject and how they work on
different boats,

but...I can't because I don't have a clue.

Classy as always, d.f.

Plan to post detailed photos of that boat of yours?

I didn't think so.

hk wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

Why are you originating new threads and cross posting?

I can understand getting wrapped up in a cross post once in a while,
usually because one neglects to notice the groups in the header.

But, starting a new thread and purposely cross posting it is basically
giving everyone here the finger.

Is *that* what you intended?

Eisboch

As I stated, this is no longer a boating discussion group, so what's
wrong with a little new blood? Are you a snob? :)

Really having a bad day Harry? How was the boating? Or did the planning
fall through?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:26:06 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

What do you think about secondary control stations located in the cockpit
area?

I've never owned a boat with secondary controls other than upper/lower
helm stations but you see quite a few serious fishing boats with
controls in the cockpit. I'm guessing that they find it useful for
backing down on a large fish when there are only a couple of guys on
board. There are also some motor yachts which have very poor
visibility aft and I would certainly want a second set of controls for
backing into a slip.

The Navigator we had was a perfect candidate for another set of controls.
In fact, if I had kept it and did more traveling in it, I probably would
have had a set installed on the rear of the flybridge .... on the section
that overhung the cockpit. I had absolutely no visibility of the back of
the boat from the upper station.

I wouldn't bother with a helm. I'd just have controls for the
transmissions and engine throttles.

Eisboch

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:37:00 -0400, WaIIy wrote:

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:15:08 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

Why are you originating new threads and cross posting?

I can understand getting wrapped up in a cross post once in a while,
usually because one neglects to notice the groups in the header.

But, starting a new thread and purposely cross posting it is basically
giving everyone here the finger.

Is *that* what you intended?

Eisboch

As I stated, this is no longer a boating discussion group, so what's wrong
with a little new blood? Are you a snob? :)

So, *you* see nothing wrong with initiating a crossposted thread because it
serves *your* interests?

Why does that not surprise me?

Eisboch

If you take in a snake and you get bitten, that's what they do.

Now *that's* the best comment of the day!

"hk" wrote in message

Got any nice detailed photos of your new boat you can post?

Yup. I can .... but I won't.

Let's talk about boats.

What do you think about secondary control stations located in the cockpit
area?
Do you find them useful, Harry?

Eisboch

I have a secondary control station mounted towards the stern.

Her name is Sandy.

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:47:43 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a helm. I'd just have controls for the
transmissions and engine throttles.

Yes, that all you really need, and all that you see on sportfishing
boats with dual controls in the cockpit.

"John H" wrote in message
. com...
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:26:06 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...

Got any nice detailed photos of your new boat you can post?

Yup. I can .... but I won't.

Let's talk about boats.

What do you think about secondary control stations located in the cockpit
area?
Do you find them useful, Harry?

Eisboch

I have a secondary control station mounted towards the stern.

Her name is Sandy.

Heh. I had the same, except her name was Mrs.E.

As I mentioned before, the Navigator had absolutely no visibility of the
rear of the boat from the upper (flybridge) station.
So, when backing into a slip, particularly one I was not familiar with, she
would stand in the back of the cockpit with her arms held up above her head.
I could just see her hands. As I backed the boat in, she would direct me
by pointing in the direction the back of the boat had to move in order to
get into the slip without hitting a dock or another boat.

That boat had a fairly wide beam at over 15'. The slip we first had for
it (in Scituate) had finger slips on each side.
When the boat was in the slip, there was six inches of space between the
hull and the slip on each side.
On windy days, it made it a bit interesting getting it backed in.

Eisboch

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:59:15 -0400, John H wrote:

I have a secondary control station mounted towards the stern.

Her name is Sandy.

Isn't that called a command bridge ?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:47:43 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a helm. I'd just have controls for the
transmissions and engine throttles.

Yes, that all you really need, and all that you see on sportfishing
boats with dual controls in the cockpit.

This subject is of interest to me because I am seriously thinking of another
boat. The one I bought is ok, but it's not what I really want or like.

I've searched high and low, looking at different boats, styles, performance
criteria, features, etc. and for some reason nothing really satisfies my
personal interests. Then, I realized why. Every boat I consider, I am
subconsciously comparing it to the Navigator.

So, maybe the thing to do is to get another Navigator. The one I had was a
"4800 Classic" which is 52'8" LOA. It was a bit too big to easily
single-hand, which is the main reason we sold it. (Plus, at the time, we
also had the 36 GB).

Navigator also makes a 44' version that has a layout that I actually like
better than the one we had.

But first, I have to try to sell the Mainship to free up the slip.

Something to think about this winter, I guess.

Eisboch

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:05:32 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:26:06 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
om...

[...]

We go through that process with the trailer. The first couple times there
was a lot of yelling, directed at me. Now we have a deal. She doesn't talk,
only hand signals. Works pretty well.

I've never tried to pilot a boat larger than my 21' Proline. I'll probably
go to my deathbed never having done so. It's probably just as well.

Sturgeon jump? Who knew... Short Wave Sportfishing General 0 July 4th 07 12:29 PM
CLINTON KNEW!!!! Bob Crantz ASA 1 July 15th 04 10:00 AM
Bush Knew Harry Krause General 26 April 13th 04 08:01 PM
Bush knew about it, but did not do anything STFU General 1 November 9th 03 05:04 PM