HK HK is offline

Default Uh-oh...Troopergate Emails Revealed

Palin E-Mails Show Intense Interest in Trooper's Penalty

By James V. Grimaldi and Karl Vick
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, September 4, 2008; A27

EAGLE RIVER, Alaska, Sept. 3 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the running
mate for GOP presidential candidate John McCain, wrote e-mails that
harshly criticized Alaska state troopers for failing to fire her former
brother-in-law and ridiculed an internal affairs investigation into his
conduct.

The e-mails were shown to The Washington Post by a former public safety
commissioner, Walter Monegan, who was fired by Palin in July. Monegan
has given copies of the e-mails to state ethics investigators to support
his contention that he was dismissed for failing to fire Trooper Mike
Wooten, who at the time was feuding with Palin's family.

"This trooper is still out on the street, in fact he's been promoted,"
said a Feb. 7, 2007, e-mail sent from Palin's personal Yahoo account and
written to give Monegan permission to speak on a violent-crime bill
before the state legislature.

"It was a joke, the whole year long 'investigation' of him," the e-mail
said. "This is the same trooper who's out there today telling people the
new administration is going to destroy the trooper organization, and
that he'd 'never work for that b****', Palin'.)"

Asked about the e-mails, Palin's campaign spokeswoman, Maria Comella,
said that Palin was merely alerting officials to potential threats to
her family and that there is no evidence that Palin ever ordered Wooten
to be fired.

"Let's be clear, Governor Palin has done nothing wrong and is an open
book in this process. Mr. Monegan even stated himself that no one ever
told him to fire anyone, period," Comella said later in a statement.
"The Governor was rightly expressing concern about Mr. Wooten."

Palin is under investigation by a bipartisan state legislative body that
was authorized last month to look into whether Palin pressured Monegan
to force Wooten from the state police force and whether his failure to
do so led to his dismissal.

Palin had promised to cooperate with the legislative inquiry, but this
week moved to change the jurisdiction of the case to the state personnel
board, which Palin appoints. Her attorney, Thomas V. Van Flein, who was
hired last month, challenged the jurisdiction of Stephen Branchflower,
the retired prosecutor hired to investigate and report back to the
legislature by the last week of October.

When Palin entered the governor's office in late 2006, Wooten already
had been reprimanded, reassigned and suspended for five days for
incidents reported by Palin's family. They had filed complaints in April
2005 after her younger sister's marriage fell apart and the couple
battled in a bitter child-custody dispute.

Palin has said previously that she discussed Wooten with Monegan only in
the context of security concerns for the family. Monegan has said that
Palin never directly told him to fire Wooten but that the message was
clearly conveyed through repeated messages from Palin, her husband and
three members of her Cabinet.

"To allege that I, or any member of my family . . . directed
disciplinary action be taken against any employee of the Department of
Public Safety, is, quite simply, outrageous," Palin said in a statement
in mid-July after Monegan's dismissal.

****In August, Palin acknowledged that "pressure could have been
perceived to exist, although I have only now become aware of it."****
(snerk)

During an interview here Wednesday, Monegan said that as Alaska's top
law enforcement official, he took his duties seriously. "I would
willingly die for the governor, but I would never lie for her," he said.

He showed The Post two e-mails he received from Palin, but he declined
to give copies. The first e-mail came on Feb. 7, 2007, after the
governor's husband, Todd, met with Monegan to press the case for
disciplinary action against Wooten. Palin's family had accused the
trooper of shooting a cow moose without a permit, Tasering his stepson,
and drinking while driving a trooper vehicle. After her husband met with
Monegan, Palin followed up with a phone call to Monegan.

In that first e-mail, sent a few weeks after the meeting, Palin
encouraged Monegan to testify for a bill that would require 99-year
sentences for police officers found guilty of murder. "For police
officers to violate the public trust is a grave, grave violation -- in
my opinion. We have too many examples lately of cops and troopers who
violate the public trust. DPS has come across as merely turning a blind
eye or protecting that officer, seemingly 'for the good of the
brotherhood'."

She cited Wooten's case as an example of violating the public trust. She
recounted his transgressions, beginning with the killing of the cow
moose using a permit obtained by his wife. Molly McCann, who uses her
name from a previous marriage, was with Wooten at the time.

"He's still bragging about it in my hometown and after another cop
confessed to witnessing the kill, the trooper was 'investigated' for
over a year and merely given a slap on the wrist," the e-mail said.
"Though he's out there arresting people today for the same crime!"

"He threatened to kill his estranged wife's parent, refused to be
transferred to rural Alaska and continued to disparage Natives in words
and tone, he continues to harass and intimidate his ex. -- even after
being slapped with a restraining order that was lifted when his
supervisors intervened," the e-mail said. "He threatens to always be
able to come out on top because he's 'got the badge', etc. etc. etc.)"

Palin wrote that the Wooten matter had contributed to "the erosion of
faith Alaskans should have in their law enforcement officials." She
concluded by saying the e-mail was "just my opinion."

The second e-mail Monegan produced came from Palin's Yahoo address on
July 17, 2007, after the local newspaper publicized a legislative
proposal that would keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Her first thought about the bill, the e-mail said, "went to my
ex-brother-in-law, the trooper, who threatened to kill my dad yet was
not even reprimanded by his bosses and still to this day carries a gun,
of course."

"We can't have double standards. Remember when the death threat was
reported, and follow-on threats from Mike that he was going to 'bring
Sarah and her family down' -- instead of any reprimand WE were told by
trooper union personnel that we'd be sued if we talked about those
threats. Amazing. . . .

"So consistency is needed here," the e-mail said. "No one's above the
law. If the law needs to be changed to not allow access to guns for
people threatening to kill someone, it must apply to everyone."

Research editor Alice Crites in Washington contributed to this report.

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:36:36 -0400, hk wrote:

Palin E-Mails Show Intense Interest in Trooper's Penalty

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/20...&positi on=15

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5713866&page=1
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:36:36 -0400, hk wrote:

Palin E-Mails Show Intense Interest in Trooper's Penalty

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/20...&positi on=15

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5713866&page=1

Wonder Woman:

Another Controversy for Sarah Palin
Former Police Chief Says He Was Fired for Challenging Palin's Campaign
Contributors
By BRIAN ROSS and JOSEPH RHEE

Sept. 3, 2008—

Gov. Sarah Palin is already facing ethical questions over her firing of
the Alaska public safety commissioner, and now she faces questions over
the firing of a longtime local police chief.

After taking over as Mayor of the small town of Wasilla, Palin fired the
longtime local police chief. The former police chief, Irl Stambaugh says
he was fired because he stepped on the toes of Palin's campaign
contributors, including bar owners and the National Rifle Association.

Stambaugh's lawyer, William Jermain, says the chief tried to move up the
closing hours of local bars from 5 a.m. to two a.m. after a spurt of
drunk driving accidents and arrests.

"His crackdown on that practice by the bars was not appreciated by her
and that was one reason she terminated Irl," said Jermain.

In his 1997 lawsuit, Stambaugh also alleged that his stand on
restricting concealed weapons upset the NRA.

"Mayor Palin has stated on several occasions that the National Rifle
Association encouraged her to fire Chief Stambaugh because of his stance
against the concealed weapons legislation," the lawsuit claimed.

hk wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Did the Chief of Police serve at the pleasure of the Mayor? If yes, then
there is no story. Did the Chief of Police try to change local laws
outside the legislative process? If yes, then he should have been fired.

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:05:56 -0400, BAR wrote:

Did the Chief of Police serve at the pleasure of the Mayor? If yes, then
there is no story. Did the Chief of Police try to change local laws
outside the legislative process? If yes, then he should have been fired.

The story is the pattern that is developing. The librarian, the police
chief, the Public Safety Commissioner, all fired under questionable
circumstances, because they did not "fully support her efforts to
govern". Admittedly, nothing illegal here, but still questionable
judgment.

I'm also still a little concerned with her connections to the Alaska
Independence Party. While she wasn't a member, her husband definitely
was. No big deal, but she leaks water in Dallas, gets on an 8 hour
flight back to Alaska, bypassing quality hospitals in Dallas and Seattle,
because she wants her son born in Alaska. I still want her to answer
some questions about the AIP.

bull****

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:49:45 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Got any kids? All 5 of mine were delivered by the same doctor. That's
how my wife wanted it, and how I wanted it. There is nothing at all
unusual about a woman wanting to be "home" to have her baby.

--Vic

I can accept that. For me, I'm trying to get a feeling for this woman
that, quite possibly, will become President in the near future. She's
pretty much an unknown, and the AIP is a potential issue for me.