Default Wakeboard update

"Earl of Warwich, Duke of Cornwall, Marquies of Anglesea, Sir Reginald P.
Smithers III Esq. LLC, STP. " wrote in message
RG wrote:
How the heck to they keep the boat ramps or the marinas available with
100 ft. drop?

In the case of ramps, you grade and pour concrete to the water's edge
when the reservoir is on the way down. When the reservoir is on the way
back up, you have a fully functional ramp. In extreme cases, a temporary
cofferdam is built to allow construction/extension of the ramp.

In the case of marinas, they all float. Everything floats. Slips,
ship's store, restaurant, fuel dock, everything. The floating marina is
tethered to the ground by cables that are attached to large winches on
the floating docks and large anchors at the bottom of the reservoir. As
the reservoir rises and falls, the cables are adjusted with the winches.
In extreme cases, the marina may need to be relocated to deeper water.
In that case, everything is moved laterally and then re-secured to the
bottom. It's done that way every day in the western reservoirs and
lakes. No big deal.

It is if you are the one moving the docks and marinas.

Last trip to Oroville, all the houseboats were tethered way out. There was
23' under me at my slip in the marina. Lake is supposed to go down another
140'. Berryessa built probably the nicest boat ramps anywhere when the lake
was being constructed. 8 lane pave ramps. Lake filled about 3 years
earlier than expected. If you mess up and roll off the end of the ramp, you
will probably be 300' underwater. at full pool. Oroville has all the paved
ramps out of water, and there are two low water ramps. Gravel ramps.
Actually nice ramps.

Mountainy things? Kick sleeping bears? Don't shower or shave for
three weeks?

Well, I didn't shave, and we tried to avoid the bears. Other than that we
hiked, visited Big Trees State Park (HUGE trees), went 165' below the
surface in a massive limestone cave, and the like.

Middle of the day - good lord.

Yeah, well... not much choice there.

Wow - how big is this place?

As answered above, pretty big. These resevoirs in the Sierras are dammed up
to get the biggest bang for the buck. So they look for deep canyons, that
can hold lots of water. As RG says, everything but the concrete ramps float,
and they're constantly being adjusted. The lake is currently dropping about
3 ft / week, and currently, is at about 960ft above sea level. The ramp we
launched at is usable to about 860', and they say there is another
"unimproved" ramp below that (whatever that means). There are many ramps
that are high and dry right now.

Hopefully, we'll get a decent rainy season this winter, and fill things back
up again.

--Mike

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:39:59 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

My family spent the last week up in the central Sierra Nevadas, and had an
awesome time on New Melones Lake. It's a large resevoir in Angels Camp
(Gold
Country, Frog Jumping). We had a cabin about 20 miles from the lake at the
4000' elevation, so we did "mountainy" things, and boated.

Mountainy things? Kick sleeping bears? Don't shower or shave for
three weeks?

My 8 year old can now stay up on the wakeboard about as long as he wants.
He
just stays in the clean water, and occasionally rides over the wake (no
jumping). It's pretty awesome to watch... seein' a little guy out there!

WHOO HOO!!!

Fishing was fair, but we were doing it in the middle of the day, so no
surprise there. A few blue gills, and some smaller bass... no keepers, but
we don't usually keep anyway.

Middle of the day - good lord.

The lake is currently down over 100' from it's "full" level, but my
sounder
still showed depths to 350'. Still plenty of water there. That's what two
dry seasons back to back, will do.

Wow - how big is this place?

All in all a GREAT time.

That's all that counts.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:44:49 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

Mountainy things? Kick sleeping bears? Don't shower or shave for

three weeks?

Well, I didn't shave, and we tried to avoid the bears. Other than that we
hiked, visited Big Trees State Park (HUGE trees), went 165' below the
surface in a massive limestone cave, and the like.

Kicking sleeping bears would have been more fun. :)

Finally got up on the wakeboard! Ree-Yees General 2 June 1st 04 10:28 PM
wakeboard tower jean colson General 0 April 13th 04 05:52 PM
Wakeboard Questions..... Matt General 5 February 18th 04 12:52 PM
Your Comments on Wakeboard Boats Please Sixeye General 3 January 13th 04 12:47 PM
FS: New Wakeboard cbjroms UK Power Boats 0 July 13th 03 07:47 PM