Default Computer sleep mode

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in case
anyone else has a similar issue.

For over a year now, I have made it a practice to shut down my laptop (HP
Pavilion) to the "sleep" or standby mode. (Not the hibernation mode).
It shuts down the hard drive and video and puts the computer in a low
energy use.

But, whenever I have wanted to awaken it by hitting any key on the
keyboard, it has been very random in terms of how quickly it "wakes up".
Sometimes it will spring back to life almost immediately. More often it
takes anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute before the display turns
back on. Once in a while it has taken so long that I had doubts it was
ever going to "wake up". I've tried to find a reason that is software
related, unsuccessfully. It's just random.

A couple of weeks ago I took some pictures with my camera and uploaded
them to the computer using a USB flash card reader.
When I was finished, I forgot to unplug the card reader and left it
plugged in.

I have discovered that with the card reader plugged in, the computer
responds immediately after hitting a key to awake from sleep mode. Not
once in the past two weeks has it been sluggish or random like it was for
the past year. Unplug the card reader and it goes back to it's old ways.

I am curious if the reason is due to loading the power supply a bit with
the USB card reader in, or is it a software issue related to the computer
re-recognizing the existence of the card reader as another drive.

Whatever the reason, it works. So, now I just leave it plugged in.

Eisboch

I have no idea from here what is causing your problem.

I do have a suggestion though. Use "hibernate" mode for your laptop. My
SO's laptop was left on 24/7 until it finally started over heating and
shutting itself down. The problem, dust bunnies in the cooling fins for the
CPU. It took me the best part of day to figure out how to open the damn
thing to get at the cooling area.

Had to get to point where I could remove the motherboard which meant the
keyboard, HDD, display, cables and several parts had to be removed.
Probably three dozen or more miniature screws. When I got the motherboard
out, the cooling fins were completely plugged of a couple of years ingesting
the dust bunnies.

If you use hibernate mode the machine completely powers itself time after a
user selected period of time. This minimizes dust ingestion. The recovery
time on our laptop is less than 15 seconds after touching the power button.

HTH.

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in case
anyone else has a similar issue.

If you use hibernate mode the machine completely powers itself time after
a user selected period of time. This minimizes dust ingestion. The
recovery time on our laptop is less than 15 seconds after touching the
power button.

HTH.

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. Frankly, as far as
power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference.
In both, the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you build
up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7. I
started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably wasn't
as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no problems.

Eisboch

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:03:20 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. Frankly, as
far as power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference. In both,
the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

There is a little more power being used in sleep mode as it needs to keep
power going to memory. Eventually, the batteries will drain, and it will
switch to hibernate mode. Not a concern for a desktop, but it is of
minor concern for a laptop.

Personally, I keep my desktops running 24/7, but not my laptops. I don't
really think they were built with the necessary cooling. I did manage to
fry an old Thinkpad. A capacitor melted. It might not have been
inadequate cooling, as there were a bunch of defective capacitors out
there when the Thinkpad was made.
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built laptop?

Now, a desktop, especially a homebrew desktop, is different. I just open
up the panels on mine and use canned air to blow the dust out every
couple of months.

"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Every laptop I've looked at have a grill over the area where the fan in
sucking in fresh air. What is decently built that is different from that
design?

Senior Member

On Aug 24, 9:59*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

. ..

Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
om...
"Eisboch" wrote in message
news:v6ednZ0Bcdnb2SzVnZ2dnUVZ_qLinZ2d@giganews. com...

[...]

design?- Hide quoted text -

He has a special one. It was gifted to him by Bill Gates for testing
on his LTP, but he can't tell you because it's a national secret only
he and a few world leaders know about It's code name is "Lobsta
Boat"...
HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't say "no" dust would get in, I implied it would be minimal. I
was at the Apple store a few weeks ago and watched a tech replace a fan
in a Macbook pro. He said the laptop was about a year old. When he
removed all the screws and popped it open, I was amazed by how clean it
was inside. No visible dust, not even on the fan.

"hk" wrote in message
. ..

Eisboch wrote:

The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you
build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7. I
started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably
wasn't as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no problems.

Eisboch

How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built laptop?

After 6 years, quite a bit as I found. I didn't take it completely apart,
but enough so to expose the CPU, heatsink, fans, etc.
This laptop has 4 miniature fans. I was surprised at how much dust had
accumulated.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you
build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7. I
started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably
wasn't as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no problems.

Eisboch

How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built laptop?

After 6 years, quite a bit as I found. I didn't take it completely apart,
but enough so to expose the CPU, heatsink, fans, etc.
This laptop has 4 miniature fans. I was surprised at how much dust had
accumulated.

Eisboch

So...blow the dust out every few months.