posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Simrad Wind Nav mode

I am evaluating autopilots for my CnC Landfall 48 sailboat, and the
Simrad has a feature not found in other pilots, which they call
WindNav - the ability to steer the boat to an angle of wind with an
eye towards a destination waypoint. The Simrad will allow you to tack
upwind and will suggest the tack point for the final lay line.

My belief is that navigation / pilots should provide functionality
which allows me to increase the amount of time my eyes are on the
water, and this feature strikes me as a good idea. However, none of
the other pilots I'm looking at offer this feature, nor, as best I can
tell, do any of the pc navigation software products nor integrated
chartplotters.

This begs the question: how useful is this feature?

I'd love to hear from people who have a Simrad installed on a
sailboat, and whether or not anyone uses this feature...

Thanks,

Keith
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:59:50 -0700 (PDT), cognisense
wrote:

[...]

Raymarine (and their predecessor AutoHelm) pilots will steer by
apparent wind, provided you have an apparent wind indicator on the
SeaTalk network.

It's a long time since I switched from sail to power, so I don't
recall how well, this feature worked, as I usually preferred to steer
myself if there was enough wind to sail. The autopilot was primarily
used while motoring.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

cognisense wrote:
[...]

I have a nav. program written in GWBasic which does the same thing. A
simple, easy-to-use program which allows inputs for course to windward mark,
tide, wind direction, pointing ability, leeway. etc., etc. but it is pretty
time-consuming to enter all the required data.

I have only use it once whilst racing, and in view of the ever-changing
parameters, found it less than useful.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Raymarine (and their predecessor AutoHelm) pilots will steer by
apparent wind,

Yes, the 3 pilots that I'm currently evaluating all steer to apparent
wind. In this, they all function similar to simply sailing to a given
magnetic heading. Instead of selecting your magnetic heading, they
simply allow you to sail to a specified degree of wind off the bow.

The Simrad, however, allows one more layer above the steer to wind
mode - in that it also keeps track of the windward waypoint.

Anyone with specific experience with this feature???

Keith

FS: Yaesu FT-900CAT 1.8-30Mhz All mode Transceiver [email protected] Electronics 0 February 2nd 05 01:22 AM
Simrad HT50 Bobsprit Cruising 0 November 9th 03 12:45 AM
B&G sold to Simrad Joe Wood Electronics 3 October 18th 03 12:55 PM
Simrad WP 30 Mike Page General 1 August 25th 03 03:25 AM
FS: SCS PTC-IIe PACTOR MODE MODEM Alan Electronics 0 August 3rd 03 12:11 AM