Default Computer sleep mode

Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in case
anyone else has a similar issue.

For over a year now, I have made it a practice to shut down my laptop (HP
Pavilion) to the "sleep" or standby mode. (Not the hibernation mode). It
shuts down the hard drive and video and puts the computer in a low energy
use.

But, whenever I have wanted to awaken it by hitting any key on the keyboard,
it has been very random in terms of how quickly it "wakes up". Sometimes
it will spring back to life almost immediately. More often it takes
anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute before the display turns back on.
Once in a while it has taken so long that I had doubts it was ever going to
"wake up". I've tried to find a reason that is software related,
unsuccessfully. It's just random.

A couple of weeks ago I took some pictures with my camera and uploaded them
to the computer using a USB flash card reader.
When I was finished, I forgot to unplug the card reader and left it plugged
in.

I have discovered that with the card reader plugged in, the computer
responds immediately after hitting a key to awake from sleep mode. Not once
in the past two weeks has it been sluggish or random like it was for the
past year. Unplug the card reader and it goes back to it's old ways.

I am curious if the reason is due to loading the power supply a bit with the
USB card reader in, or is it a software issue related to the computer
re-recognizing the existence of the card reader as another drive.

Whatever the reason, it works. So, now I just leave it plugged in.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Now you've done it...you've become part of The Matrix.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 07:21:25 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

[...]

I'm not technical enough to solve the problem. Mine sometimes sleeps and
sometimes leaves the screensaver running all night. Who know what evil
lurks in the heart of ... The Shadow Knows!

Anyway, your second paragraph sounded very much like what I'm going through
with our 14 year-old bearded collie. I actually wondered one morning if the
dog was alive after shaking it for a while.
Jim Jim is offline

John H. wrote:
[...]

(Coffee sprayed all over my screen)Please warn us when you are about to
make a comment like that.

[...]

Over the years, I've given up on trying to figure out why Windows does
what it does. I have my laptop setup like yours and it does pretty
much the same thing card readers or no card readers.

There's no sense to it - one week it's fine, next, you gotta hit it
with a hammer to wake it up.

Jim Jim is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Don't fret about it. Let sleeping dogs lay.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 07:53:36 -0400, Jim wrote:

Anyway, your second paragraph sounded very much like what I'm going through
with our 14 year-old bearded collie. I actually wondered one morning if the
dog was alive after shaking it for a while.

Our 16 year old chow spends about 23 1/2 hours a day in the puddle of
fur position, a state difficult to distinguish from death.

Casady

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:56:30 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

There's no sense to it - one week it's fine, next, you gotta hit it
with a hammer to wake it up.

Agent sometimes refuses to find the server. It has several different
error messages. I have found that if you open IE then it will dial up
the server, and then Agent will be happy to use the connection.
Usually. Sometimes you have to reboot. I am using a ten year old
version, so I am not knocking Agent, which I like a lot.

Casady
HK HK is offline

wrote:

There's no sense to it - one week it's fine, next, you gotta hit it
with a hammer to wake it up.

Agent sometimes refuses to find the server. It has several different
error messages. I have found that if you open IE then it will dial up
the server, and then Agent will be happy to use the connection.
Usually. Sometimes you have to reboot. I am using a ten year old
version, so I am not knocking Agent, which I like a lot.

Casady

I leave my desktop and server "on" all the time. The monitors go into
sleep mode. The Mac is only "on" when I turn it on. Everything is
plugged into a very large APC UPS. If I am around when there is a
significant thunderstorm in the area, I do shut everything down. Couple
of years ago, a tree about 50' from the house was hit by lightning, and
a few "electronic" toys in the house were impacted.

Agent? Blech! :) Overkill by a factor of 100 if you are simply
reading and posting text.

On Aug 24, 7:27*am, hk wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Now you've done it...you've become part of The Matrix.- Hide quoted text -

Wow, good answer from the alleged computer know it all of rec.boats.