Default Rescue Minor

This "tunnel boat" is real interesting

"In case you have never read about the boat, I?ll give you the specs:
It is twenty feet long and 76" wide. It is strip built out of tulip
poplar and is powered by a three cylinder Kubota Diesel tractor engine
rated at 20 hp. It will run 20 knots in six inches of water and gets
about 28.6 nautical miles per gallon of Diesel fuel running at its
most economical speed of 10.5 knots."
http://robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

Tolman started one, but look like he retired before he finished it.
http://www.fishyfish.com/renn_tolman/index.html

Seems a boat like this could be mass-produced in glass and find a
market with today's gas prices.
But maybe not.

--Vic

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:11:58 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

This "tunnel boat" is real interesting

"In case you have never read about the boat, I?ll give you the specs:
It is twenty feet long and 76" wide. It is strip built out of tulip
poplar and is powered by a three cylinder Kubota Diesel tractor engine
rated at 20 hp. It will run 20 knots in six inches of water and gets
about 28.6 nautical miles per gallon of Diesel fuel running at its
most economical speed of 10.5 knots."
http://robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

Tolman started one, but look like he retired before he finished it.
http://www.fishyfish.com/renn_tolman/index.html

Seems a boat like this could be mass-produced in glass and find a
market with today's gas prices.
But maybe not.

Penn Yann had a very similar design only with a rounded chine rather
than a square chine. They worked well enough I guess, but it never
really caught on.

It's an interesting design, but I'm confused about the tunnel system.
Looking at the drawing, it would appear that the prop sits half way
out of the water.

Than can't be very efficient.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:15:03 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

It's an interesting design, but I'm confused about the tunnel system.
Looking at the drawing, it would appear that the prop sits half way
out of the water.

Than can't be very efficient.

I'm confused too, as there are no good photos of the tunnel/prop, and
I don't know the engineering..
On this site
http://robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

White says:
"That little rooster tail is always there either in deep or shallow
water. I think it is a result of the "outflow" from under that
complicated hull form re-forming itself back into something less
complicated... a dissolution of confluences or something. There is
very little disturbance to the sand on the bottom as the boat
passes... doesn't even smooth out the ripples."

That "dissolution of confluences" sounds like you, so it's no wonder
we're confused (-:
But I don't doubt it gets terrific mileage with that Kubota.
It is built real light, and I expect it suffer some if "up-scaled."

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

I think Tolman is still working on it. It is called "Seabrite". It
seems sorta small to me (narrow).

wrote:

[...]

Those pics of Cedar Key are great. It was a sailing trip to Cedar Key
that convinced me I needed a power boat for shallow water hence my
Tolman. CK has no place to dock a sailboat. I was told that if I
could get my boat (28' S2 sailboat with 4' draft)into a dock by th
waterfront I could keep her there for $50/month. Since i had fallen
in love with CK, I was determined to do so. Waited for high tide
gaging by watching depth on a piling thru binoc from anchorage, had my
son hang offa the shrouds with all my water piled on that side to heel
her, ran all out for the dock. Plowed a deep furrow thru the mud but
i got there. Most of the time, she sat nearly dry with her keel stuck
into truly slick black mud. A month and half later, I left on a high
tide plowing the same furrow and scraping a few barnacles from the
keel.

I have plans for a couple of Payson/Bolger designs with... I can't
remember the name of the shape, but one had a nice tunnel, and another
had a flattish bottom that had a concave shape looking from the side
that ran back to the transom, I will see if I can dig them up. I know
they were not in regular circulation so I don't know if they are out
there anywhere...

I will get back..

--
KF is working and I am LTP and Salt free

Independence day just came a little late this year!

wrote:

This "tunnel boat" is real interesting

Penn Yann had a very similar design only with a rounded chine rather
than a square chine. They worked well enough I guess, but it never
really caught on.

It's an interesting design, but I'm confused about the tunnel system.
Looking at the drawing, it would appear that the prop sits half way
out of the water.

Than can't be very efficient.

Have you ever tried close quarter maneuvering in a single screw, tunnel
drive Penn Yann?

It's no wonder it never caught on.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

SmallBoats.com wrote:

--
KF is working and I am LTP and Salt free

Independence day just came a little late this year!

Keep at it; you won't achieve success until we are SmallBoats free.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

This "tunnel boat" is real interesting

Penn Yann had a very similar design only with a rounded chine rather
than a square chine. They worked well enough I guess, but it never
really caught on.

It's an interesting design, but I'm confused about the tunnel system.
Looking at the drawing, it would appear that the prop sits half way
out of the water.

Than can't be very efficient.

Have you ever tried close quarter maneuvering in a single screw, tunnel
drive Penn Yann?

It's no wonder it never caught on.

Eisboch

Well, *I* did a little close-quarter maneuvering in a Penn Yan when I
was about 14, and it resulted in a drive up the tunnel. I forgot whether
it was a single or double screw. I also forgot her name. Ahhh..age.

wrote:

It's an interesting design, but I'm confused about the tunnel system.
Looking at the drawing, it would appear that the prop sits half way
out of the water.

Than can't be very efficient.

Of course it can. Ever hear of an Arneson Drive. Only half the seven
blade prop is in the water. No drag from shaft, strut, prop hub.

Casady