Default Minor mishap on the lake (anchor / prop) should I worry??

Well i'm surprised i haven't done it sooner but i did it today... I forgot
the anchor was down, started to go, and the boat just shut off once in gear.
the line was caught around the prop. After removing it all was fine, but it
took me two times of starting it and putting it in gear to realize that is
what happend. It seemed to run fine afterwards... After pulling the boat
out of the water all looked good the only thing was that the prop seemed to
have a little play in it. don't remember if it was like that before or not.
basically if i pull on the prop, it seemed liek the entire shaft moved a
very small amount...

Dunno what that means.. maybe the stress caused from the line pulled the
prop shaft a little??? should i worry??

oelf92 wrote:
Well i'm surprised i haven't done it sooner but i did it today... I forgot
the anchor was down, started to go, and the boat just shut off once in gear.
the line was caught around the prop. After removing it all was fine, but it
took me two times of starting it and putting it in gear to realize that is
what happend. It seemed to run fine afterwards... After pulling the boat
out of the water all looked good the only thing was that the prop seemed to
have a little play in it. don't remember if it was like that before or not.
basically if i pull on the prop, it seemed liek the entire shaft moved a
very small amount...

Dunno what that means.. maybe the stress caused from the line pulled the
prop shaft a little??? should i worry??

Once, when I wasn't aboard our skipper got a line wrapped around the
prop of his Mirage 33. The torque of the Yanmar diesel damaged both the
prop shaft and a motor mount. Took a while before the yard staff got it
fixed and aligned.

Ed Ed is offline

I assume this is an outboard or an IO. Those take line a bit better
than a pure inboard. Everything should be fine. Check your lower
unit oil every so often to make sure it is not milky (Water). The play
is normal.

I actually did the same thing 20++ years ago... dropped a skier in the
water handed them everything... wondered why I couldn't get them out of
the water... luckily I didn;t get it wrapped... not sure why...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:34:54 -0400, "oelf92"
wrote:

Well i'm surprised i haven't done it sooner but i did it today... I forgot
the anchor was down, started to go, and the boat just shut off once in gear.
the line was caught around the prop. After removing it all was fine, but it
took me two times of starting it and putting it in gear to realize that is
what happend. It seemed to run fine afterwards... After pulling the boat
out of the water all looked good the only thing was that the prop seemed to
have a little play in it. don't remember if it was like that before or not.
basically if i pull on the prop, it seemed liek the entire shaft moved a
very small amount...

Dunno what that means.. maybe the stress caused from the line pulled the
prop shaft a little??? should i worry??

No - normal play - you just didn't notice it before.

"Ed" wrote in message
.. .
I assume this is an outboard or an IO. Those take line a bit better than a
pure inboard. Everything should be fine. Check your lower unit oil
every so often to make sure it is not milky (Water). The play is normal.

I actually did the same thing 20++ years ago... dropped a skier in the
water handed them everything... wondered why I couldn't get them out of
the water... luckily I didn;t get it wrapped... not sure why...

20 years ago? When I used to troll for stripers off of Scituate with the
Whaler, I'd wrap around a lobster pot line at least once an outing.

Eisboch

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM
Puts Lake Superior to shame Capt. Neal® ASA 5 December 16th 04 05:25 PM
Bad News for Lake Erie: From the Toledo Blade RGrew176 General 4 September 27th 03 03:10 PM
The 4th and boating.Lake Oroville. basskisser General 9 July 14th 03 06:24 PM