Default Cockpit drainage, lets try again

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:53:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

OK, lets try for some real info this time and no insults. Do so-
called offshore boats really have good scuppers? Can anybody provide
a link to a pic of such?
Next, areas below the deck, are they sealed on offshore boats or
accessible via a hatch? How much do said hatches leak? (my sealed
compartments have 6" screw in type access ports).

Here's another clue about "open" boats that operate in heavy
conditions:

http://www.pasty.com/~barbspage/36MLB4.JPEG

You need to be able to get the water out FAST. The cockpit deck needs
to be just above the waterline, with a lot of square footage of direct
drainage that does not involve tubes or hoses. A water filled cockpit
needs to drain in seconds, not minutes. The boat should also be
self-righting.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:20:45 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:07:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:53:13 GMT,
(Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:45:23 -0400,
wrote:

You need to be able to get the water out FAST. The cockpit deck needs
to be just above the waterline, with a lot of square footage of direct
drainage that does not involve tubes or hoses. A water filled cockpit
needs to drain in seconds, not minutes. The boat should also be
self-righting.

Only thing wrong with self righting is that half the weight of the
boat ends up as ballast.

Only thing wrong with not self righting is you drown.

You do realize that most boats are not self righting, and the smaller
ones are unsinkable. All the self righting boats sink easily, like
stones. See who drowns. It is easier to fall out of the little Iowa
open fishing and runabout types, and that is a usual way to drown
here. Drunks taking a **** with no PFD. Wood boats are often
unsinkable until you add ballast. I remember when must boats were
wood, inboards were rare, and the outboards were relatively light, as
the biggest were only 35 HP. Sinkings were rare to nonexistant. Nearly
all the boats here still have positive flotation, foam or air tanks.

Casady

How close are you to the Gulf Stream? We aren't talking about drunken
louts, fishing in rowboats on a small lake in Iowa.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:18:33 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:20:45 GMT,
(Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:07:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:53:13 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

[...]

What has that to do with anything. I said that Iowa lacked some of the
dangers of the open ocean. I am nowhere near the Gulf Stream. It is a
big so what? What Iowa does have is boating in 40 degree water.
Whatever you do stay out of the water. I don't particularly miss
highly corrosive water.

Casady

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:22:11 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:18:33 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:20:45 GMT,
(Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:07:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:53:13 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, Richard, but your replies in this thread, and the examples you
use to illustrate them, have had little or no direct bearing on the
subject under discussion.