Default Cockpit drainage, lets try again

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:29:51 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
On Aug 19, 9:58 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

OK, lets try for some real info this time and no insults. Do so-
called offshore boats really have good scuppers? Can anybody provide
a link to a pic of such?
Next, areas below the deck, are they sealed on offshore boats or
accessible via a hatch? How much do said hatches leak? (my sealed
compartments have 6" screw in type access ports).

By that controversial Florida fellow:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/sinking.htm

Eisboch

I like Pasco. Interesting that he says to seal up scuppers if they
are too low and rely on bilge pumps.

In the pic he gave, the scupper was even with the cockpit sole, so why
have a bilge pump? Where is the pump pumping if the deck is supposed
to be sealed?

I looked over the Tolman last night, adding a deck would be no
problem. Even big scuppers would not be too difficult. I sure hate
losing access to my hull though.

In my opinion, bilge pumps are not for getting rid of water from a greenie.
They are for getting rid of water due to rain, condensation, dripping shaft
seals, etc.

Scuppers are for getting rid of greenie water ... in a hurry.

Some would say that's what low transoms are for. :)
HK HK is offline

wrote in message

[...]

Is that what happens on your low transom boat? Or does the seat
structure forward of your transom trap heavy water?

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do
something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do

— Edward Everett Hale (1822-1909)