Senior Member

Default Since this newsgroup is now nothing more than...

On Aug 9, 6:47*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:37:21 -0400, Wayne.B penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:53:51 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Can I post some of my observations about your system here, or do you
want to save that for later...?
Feel free..... maybe others will be interested....
Gene, you have your own NNTP server?

Yes....

Can we all try it?

That is my intent, for all those really interested in less noise.

Gene: will your server filter out all the trash, including discussions of
golf, motor homes, grandchildren, guitars, et cetera? I guess what I am
asking is, what topics will be filtered? And does your server read the
posts, or just the headers?

Thanks!

--
Republicans - They Take Special Pride in their Ignorance.

If it does what he says it does, it certainly cannot just work with the
header information.- Hide quoted text -

Note that the opinions I have of how he is working are based on a
couple of quick notes and an understanding of how "similar" systems
work... I could be wrong, but I will tell you this much. If I were
Gene, I wouldn't say too much about what is going on back there. Spam,
trolling, etc. are one of the biggest costs a server admin takes on. I
would have to guess than nearly 25% of our peers resources and time go
into fighting the scourge.. If you find something that works, the last
thing you want to do is tip off the offenders as to how you are doing
it, and where to start attacking it...
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Aug 9, 6:44 pm, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:54:15 -0400, Gene Kearns

wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:59:59 -0700 (PDT),
penned the following well considered
thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
On Aug 9, 11:32 am, Gene Kearns
wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 10:50:46 -0400, Sir Grand Duke of Marmalade,
Reginald P. Smithers III The Great, Esq. LLC penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 16:26:20 -0400, hk penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
...crap from The Seven Little Schitts, some might want a good screen
cleaner:
http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf
Not to worry. Beta is going fine and I'll soon offer a "crap free"
option to those that want to read it. Of course, all others are free
to continue to post crap and swear they are trying to "clean up" the
newsgroup.
Gene,
I am curious when you open your server will you allow people access to
your server whose sole purpose of reading rec.boats is to observe and
comment about "rec.boats" being flushed down the toilet, then spend 90%
of their time talking about the Seven Little Schitts? It seems that
that would be counterproductive to your reason for starting a "filtered
server".
Sure! The funny thing is.... they can post their patooties off and the
posts will propagate to all servers.... they will just be filtered
from *my* server. So..... if you are getting headers from my server,
their posts will not be available.
The ones that honestly want to end that sort of repartee will be the
ones that choose either to (1) ignore them or (2) download headers
from my server and, thus, not be *tempted*.
--
Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.
Homepagehttp://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Start off with Harry, Don, and JimH in the bin and I'll sign right up!- Hide quoted text -

I think he is working more on content than individuals. Hopefully it
will include "sig files" which are only there to inflame others too.

OK Dwarfs... and I am probably the shortest and fattest, let's see
what he has and play the game. This could be the breakthrough we have
all been waiting for.

\
Your boys Reggie, Loogy, Florida Jim, DK, BAR, Herring, et cetera,
cannot be civil here or anywhere else. IF you think otherwise, just ask
them to do so right here and right now. I'll bet you a dollar they
cannot behave in a civil fashion.

Bet?

--
"The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade
and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion,

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

=======================================

I don't know if you've ever tried SpamBayes as an email filter. I've been
using it for about a year now and find it works very well with Outlook. I
see from their website versions for other email clients are available. It
won't work for Usenet, but for email it's the cats meow.

Here's a little info:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...0TCspam_1.html

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

Senior Member

On Aug 9, 7:55*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 9, 6:47 pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/- Hide quoted text -

I will ask the tech but like I said, as it is now I might get two a
day on a email that has propagated for nearly a decade and a half. We
run our Spam Assasin (with custom modules) on all of our servers
globally for our customers so they really don't have a lot to worry
about either, but if any of our clients have other off site domains
they may be interested. I wonder if they sell a server version.. humm.
I will check it out though, thanks..

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

You're assuming he wants you and your 7 dwarfs.

Senior Member

On Aug 9, 8:06*pm, wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:55*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

wrote in message

On Aug 9, 6:47 pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I will check it out though, thanks..- Hide quoted text -

Hey Gene, if you are reading, the clock is about an hour ahead of EST
on the posts I am getting...

Scotty, sitting on his new leaf..
Senior Member

On Aug 9, 9:18*pm, Gene Kearns
wrote:

No more name calling from me either.. well, except for us dwarfs..

ROFL.... here is another unanticipated consequence...... justwait will
never see his own post!

--

LOL.. yeah, I noticed that. That's what impressed me the most. Looks
like no one in particular is binned as it were, just bad posts.. So

Let's not forget the famous septic tank pumping party, or the blow by blow
description of his den remodel! lol

--Mike

"Sir Grand Duke of Marmalade, Reginald P. Smithers III The Great, Esq. LLC"
wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

Can I post some of my observations about your system here, or do you
want to save that for later...?
Feel free..... maybe others will be interested....
Gene, you have your own NNTP server?

Yes....

Can we all try it?

That is my intent, for all those really interested in less noise.

Gene: will your server filter out all the trash, including discussions of
golf, motor homes, grandchildren, guitars, et cetera? I guess what I am
asking is, what topics will be filtered? And does your server read the
posts, or just the headers?

Thanks!

Harry,
Yes, the server is set up to remove all off topic discussion except for
daily updates on all UPS shipments going to your house, all references to
what a great marksman you are, photos of Stumpy etc, photos of what Harry
Krause has on his IPOD etc. You know, it removes all off topic
discussions except those that are originated by Harry Krause.

Mike wrote:
Let's not forget the famous septic tank pumping party, or the blow by blow
description of his den remodel! lol

--Mike

Or the infamous cat sleeping on the printer with the WalMart coupon.

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

to weaken or undermine that right."- Hide quoted text -

Nobody will bet with you Harry, because you've proven here that your
word is worthless.

Cal newsgroup? [email protected] General 0 August 19th 06 06:56 PM
is this a newsgroup about boats? Mike Hollywood General 16 October 10th 05 08:31 PM
This newsgroup has SallyRd General 54 May 27th 05 02:22 AM
ASS OF THE NEWSGROUP Jonathan Ganz ASA 15 January 15th 04 06:13 AM