[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default Since this newsgroup is now nothing more than...

On Aug 9, 8:06*pm, wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:55*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

wrote in message

On Aug 9, 6:47 pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

"hk" wrote in message

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:37:21 -0400, Wayne.B penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:53:51 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Can I post some of my observations about your system here, or do you
want to save that for later...?
Feel free..... maybe others will be interested....
Gene, you have your own NNTP server?

Yes....

Can we all try it?

That is my intent, for all those really interested in less noise.

Gene: will your server filter out all the trash, including discussions
of
golf, motor homes, grandchildren, guitars, et cetera? I guess what I am
asking is, what topics will be filtered? And does your server read the
posts, or just the headers?

Thanks!

--
Republicans - They Take Special Pride in their Ignorance.

If it does what he says it does, it certainly cannot just work with the
header information.- Hide quoted text -

Note that the opinions I have of how he is working are based on a
couple of quick notes and an understanding of how "similar" systems
work... *I could be wrong, but I will tell you this much. If I were
Gene, I wouldn't say too much about what is going on back there. Spam,
trolling, etc. are one of the biggest costs a server admin takes on. I
would have to guess than nearly 25% of our peers resources and time go
into fighting the scourge.. If you find something that works, the last
thing you want to do is tip off the offenders as to how you are doing
it, and where to start attacking it...

=======================================

I don't know if you've ever tried SpamBayes as an email filter. *I've been
using it for about a year now and find it works very well with Outlook. *I
see from their website versions for other email clients are available. *It
won't work for Usenet, but for email it's the cats meow.

Here's a little info:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...0TCspam_1.html

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/-Hide quoted text -

I will ask the tech but like I said, as it is now I might get two a
day on a email that has propagated for nearly a decade and a half. We
run our Spam Assasin (with custom modules) on all of our servers
globally for our customers so they really don't have a lot to worry
about either, but if any of our clients have other off site domains
they may be interested. I wonder if they sell a server version.. humm.
I will check it out though, thanks..- Hide quoted text -

Hey Gene, if you are reading, the clock is about an hour ahead of EST
on the posts I am getting...

Scotty, sitting on his new leaf..