Default What kind of fish was it?

I see there are fishermen here, so maybe someone can identify a fish for me.
This morning in Canandaigua Lake (Western NY) I saw a fish that was over 2
feet long and maybe 8 inches wide. It was purple/gray in about 2 feet of
water. It was swimming along the shore line, apparently digging something
out of the mud, because it stirred up a lot of mud.

Never seen anything like it before.

On Aug 6, 11:34*pm, "jack" wrote:
I see there are fishermen here, so maybe someone can identify a fish for me.
This morning in Canandaigua Lake (Western NY) I saw a fish that was over 2
feet long and maybe 8 inches wide. *It was purple/gray in about 2 feet of
water. *It was swimming along the shore line, apparently digging something
out of the mud, because it stirred up a lot of mud.

Never seen anything like it before.

Did it look anything like this?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=catfish&gbv=2

Was it's mouth like that, or in front of his face with more teeth..?
I would have to guess a catfish of some sort... Was it real slimey?

wrote in message
On Aug 6, 11:34 pm, "jack" wrote:
I see there are fishermen here, so maybe someone can identify a fish for
me.
This morning in Canandaigua Lake (Western NY) I saw a fish that was over 2
feet long and maybe 8 inches wide. It was purple/gray in about 2 feet of
water. It was swimming along the shore line, apparently digging something
out of the mud, because it stirred up a lot of mud.

Never seen anything like it before.

Did it look anything like this?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=catfish&gbv=2

Was it's mouth like that, or in front of his face with more teeth..?
I would have to guess a catfish of some sort... Was it real slimey?

----------------

Between the water and not having my glasses I am not sure about the mouth,
but it has the right shape. Kind of a lump, rather than streamlined.

On Aug 6, 11:56*pm, "jack" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 6, 11:34 pm, "jack" wrote:

I see there are fishermen here, so maybe someone can identify a fish for
me.
This morning in Canandaigua Lake (Western NY) I saw a fish that was over 2
feet long and maybe 8 inches wide. It was purple/gray in about 2 feet of
water. It was swimming along the shore line, apparently digging something
out of the mud, because it stirred up a lot of mud.

Never seen anything like it before.

Did it look anything like this?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=catfish&gbv=2

Was it's mouth like that, or in front of his face with more teeth..?
I would have to guess a catfish of some sort... Was it real slimey?

----------------

Between the water and not having my glasses I am not sure about the mouth,
but it has the right shape. *Kind of a lump, rather than streamlined.

If it was that fat, it was probably some sort of catfish.. I don't
know what other bottom feeders you have up there, but suckers are
usually not that fat..

I built a boat for a guy on that lake about a decade ago and drove it
out to him.. Real nice lake, lots of berries at the south end if it's
the same place.. or was it grapes.. I forget now.. I think it might
have been grapes...

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:34:05 -0400, "jack" wrote:

I see there are fishermen here, so maybe someone can identify a fish for me.
This morning in Canandaigua Lake (Western NY) I saw a fish that was over 2
feet long and maybe 8 inches wide. It was purple/gray in about 2 feet of
water. It was swimming along the shore line, apparently digging something
out of the mud, because it stirred up a lot of mud.

Never seen anything like it before.

Burbot. Possibly a bullhead, but that's unlikely at that length.

On Aug 6, 11:34*pm, "jack" wrote:
I see there are fishermen here, so maybe someone can identify a fish for me.
This morning in Canandaigua Lake (Western NY) I saw a fish that was over 2
feet long and maybe 8 inches wide. *It was purple/gray in about 2 feet of
water. *It was swimming along the shore line, apparently digging something
out of the mud, because it stirred up a lot of mud.

Never seen anything like it before.

Sounds like a catfish. Canandaigua is a beautiful lake........
I used to go to Roseland Park, as a matter of fact, my first roller
coaster ride was there. Shame it's gone now.
Later, I had a friend that worked at the Sheraton Inn right on the
lake, back in the days when they had floating cottages near by.

On Aug 7, 12:03*am, wrote:
On Aug 6, 11:56*pm, "jack" wrote:

wrote in message

On Aug 6, 11:34 pm, "jack" wrote:

[...]

have been grapes...- Hide quoted text -

Grapes most probably. Used to be a real cool amusement park there,
long gone, and another unique thing was there was an area of floating
cottages.

FISH OFF???!!! Capt. Rob ASA 0 July 31st 06 03:54 PM
Fish Fly Reggie Smithers General 0 January 19th 06 12:28 PM
If you fish at all... John H. General 98 December 8th 05 04:53 AM
If you fish at all... Doug Kanter General 0 December 5th 05 01:49 PM
25 Fish Later John H General 78 June 30th 05 07:34 PM