Default Mercrusier starter mounting bolt problem

Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I've replaced dozens of Mercrusier starters and I always use the best new
starters available from the same supplier. I've never had a premature failure of
the starter itself.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter that came
with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a funny
noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off (see link below).
There was nothing unusual about the install and I know I didn't over tighten it.

Luckily, with the help of an angle drill, mirror and an ez-out, I was able to
make everyone happy but I am going to rethink using supplied bolts.

http://www.rovatune.com/starterbolt.jpg

Larry

"Larry W" wrote in message
Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I've replaced dozens of Mercrusier starters and I always use the best new
starters available from the same supplier. I've never had a premature
failure of the starter itself.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter
that came with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a
funny noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off (see
link below). There was nothing unusual about the install and I know I
didn't over tighten it.

Luckily, with the help of an angle drill, mirror and an ez-out, I was able
to make everyone happy but I am going to rethink using supplied bolts.

http://www.rovatune.com/starterbolt.jpg

Larry

Made in China?

Eisboch

"Larry W" wrote in message
Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter
that came with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a
funny noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off (see
link below). There was nothing unusual about the install and I know I
didn't over tighten it.

Quite a few years back, MercCruiser, Volvo, and OMC had starter bolt
breakage problems with the 3.0L motor due to vibration the first year GM
changed to the small-diameter permanent-magnet starter housing. Each company
sent out service bulletins about, and incorporated into the following years
line-up, an L-shaped bracket from the back of the new starter to the engine
block. The bracket kept the starter from wobbling when the motor was idling,
thus keeping the bolts intact without breaking.

See your dealer for the bracket and hardware as I'm guessing that it was
probably not installed and tightened like it should have been. One bolt on
the back of the correct starter has a threaded stud for the bracket,
lockwasher, and nut. There is a threaded hole in the engine block for a
bolt to fasten the other end of the bracket.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 30, 9:37 pm, Larry W wrote:
Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I've replaced dozens of Mercrusier starters and I always use the best new
starters available from the same supplier. I've never had a premature failure of
the starter itself.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter that came
with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a funny
noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off (see link below).
There was nothing unusual about the install and I know I didn't over tighten it.

Luckily, with the help of an angle drill, mirror and an ez-out, I was able to
make everyone happy but I am going to rethink using supplied bolts.

http://www.rovatune.com/starterbolt.jpg

Larry

Then again, I've seen seemingly countless OE bolts broken off in the
block. especially 350 chevy's. Oh and naturally it would mostly break
on the 'inside" bolt, too!
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 30, 9:37 pm, Larry W wrote:
Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I've replaced dozens of Mercrusier starters and I always use the best new
starters available from the same supplier. I've never had a premature failure of
the starter itself.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter that came
with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a funny
noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off (see link below).
There was nothing unusual about the install and I know I didn't over tighten it.

Luckily, with the help of an angle drill, mirror and an ez-out, I was able to
make everyone happy but I am going to rethink using supplied bolts.

http://www.rovatune.com/starterbolt.jpg

Larry

Larry, it could be you just got a bad bolt, too.

Billgran wrote:
"Larry W" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Bill,

I've replaced many starters with the bracket but didn't know about the service
bulletin. I'm going back and install one today.

I think Tim is right that this was just a bad bolt. According to the customer
they only used the boat twice since the replacement.

Larry
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 31, 9:36*am, Larry W wrote:
Billgran wrote:
"Larry W" wrote in message
[...]

Larry- Hide quoted text -

Yes, Larry. Notice where the bolt broke, right at the base of the
threads.
From what I understand, that when cutting the threads, sometimes the
die will stress the bolt at the base of the thread. it's not common,
but it does happen.

By the looks of the threaded end, evidently all was clean when it was
installed. I'm glad you were able to dig it out, especially in the
position you had to work with.

I know you've already done the work, but I probably would have put one
of the origional bolts back in.

Tim wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:36 am, Larry W wrote:
Billgran wrote:
"Larry W" wrote in message
[...]

From what I understand, that when cutting the threads, sometimes the
die will stress the bolt at the base of the thread. it's not common,
but it does happen.

By the looks of the threaded end, evidently all was clean when it was
installed. I'm glad you were able to dig it out, especially in the
position you had to work with.

I know you've already done the work, but I probably would have put one
of the origional bolts back in.

Tim,

Yup, old bolt back in.

I do a lot of starters on the 8 lakes I service especially this year with the
amount of rain we've had. People don't realize the need for a decent cover or
automatic bilge - that's OK with me.

Larry

Metallurgy can be defective sometimes. I used SS bolts on my Mercruiser
starter-not likely to snap even if you reefed on the torque. Had a shock
absorber once that snapped the upper stud a while after installation.
Poor metallurgy. Your bolt failed at a stress riser point, right where
the thread ends. This is right where a torque failure would occur.
JR

Larry W wrote:
Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I've replaced dozens of Mercrusier starters and I always use the best
new starters available from the same supplier. I've never had a
premature failure of the starter itself.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter
that came with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a
funny noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off
(see link below). There was nothing unusual about the install and I know
I didn't over tighten it.

Luckily, with the help of an angle drill, mirror and an ez-out, I was
able to make everyone happy but I am going to rethink using supplied bolts.

http://www.rovatune.com/starterbolt.jpg

Larry

* * * * Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth- Hide quoted text -

Stainless steel is not particularly stronger that ordinary steel.
It's just stainless. If you want stronger then you need grade 5 or
grade 7 bolts.

The v8/v6 starter mounting has had that bracket from the back of the
starter to the block for a long time. I'm surprised someone had to
figure it out again on the 4 banger.