Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Mercrusier starter mounting bolt problem

"Larry W" wrote in message
Just a heads-up to anyone replacing a starter in an I/O Mercrusier.

I've replaced dozens of Mercrusier starters and I always use the best new
starters available from the same supplier. I've never had a premature
failure of the starter itself.

I replaced one in a 3.0 about a month ago and it was the first starter
that came with new mounting bolts.

Customer called Sunday with a complaint that the starter was making a
funny noise. Turns out the long mounting bolt had failed/sheared off (see
link below). There was nothing unusual about the install and I know I
didn't over tighten it.

Luckily, with the help of an angle drill, mirror and an ez-out, I was able
to make everyone happy but I am going to rethink using supplied bolts.

http://www.rovatune.com/starterbolt.jpg

Larry

Made in China?

Eisboch