posted to rec.boats.building

Default Mercruiser Starter Problem

I have an "89" Mercruiser 5.7L 260HP I/O. I just purchased a new
starter from Ebay. The original starter part # is J1171. The new
Mercruiser starter part # is also J1171 but, the new starter is much
smaller than the original. They both have the same diagonal bolt
pattern, and the new starter bolts up to the block fine. I figure this
must be a new design starter for the newer model GM 5.7L block.
However, I just want to make sure the new starter is indeed compatable
with my older "89" block. I have not tried to start the motor with the
new starter installed for fear of damaging the flywheel. The seller
listed it as a replacement for the 87 thru 2006 model years. Thanks
for any help guys.

Mike Howard

posted to rec.boats.building

It's not uncommon to see things like this. If the starter is the OEM
starter, made by Mercruiser like the original, then I'd just use it and not
worry about it. They would've changed the part number and SKU if it had
different fit/form/function than the original. But if the starter is made
by some no-name outfit and they put the OEM part number on it, then I might
wonder. It probably works fine, but maybe they 'lightened things up a bit.'
But really ...I think you're fine. The guy that listed it for '87 through
'06 is probably reading right of the book... and the later motors may have
space constraints that only the newer smaller version of starter will fit
within. If it were my boat, I'd just bolt it on and see how it works, fully
expecting it to work fine.

Just my 2-bits...

Brian D

oups.com...