posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] tschnautz@gmail.com is offline

Default Mercruiser Starter Problem

it'll work!

wrote:
I have an "89" Mercruiser 5.7L 260HP I/O. I just purchased a new
starter from Ebay. The original starter part # is J1171. The new
Mercruiser starter part # is also J1171 but, the new starter is much
smaller than the original. They both have the same diagonal bolt
pattern, and the new starter bolts up to the block fine. I figure this
must be a new design starter for the newer model GM 5.7L block.
However, I just want to make sure the new starter is indeed compatable
with my older "89" block. I have not tried to start the motor with the
new starter installed for fear of damaging the flywheel. The seller
listed it as a replacement for the 87 thru 2006 model years. Thanks
for any help guys.

Mike Howard