Default Economic Indicator?

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
A few years ago I had the local boneyard come tow a '90 Corsica away
from my doorstep. They wanted the title and I gave it to them.
They didn't offer anything for the car, and I didn't expect anything.
Two years ago I called to have them tow away a '93 Beretta.
They refused to do it without the title, which my daughter had lost.
I coaxed them into it with 50 bucks.
An couple hours ago I called the boneyard to have them tow away a '93
Corsica. My son couldn't find the title. They asked how much I
wanted, and I said just come get it. Didn't mention the title.
Sounded like the same dispatcher, and it was certainly the same tow
truck driver. Not too many guys with Amish style beards around here.
The car is already gone. After he had it hooked the driver asked if
I had a title, I said nope, and he took off. My kid will be happy I
don't have to sock him for 50 bucks, which I had warned him might
happen.
More junk collectors on garbage day too.
My wife leaned a broken aluminum lawn chair on the trash can in the
street, walked into the house to get a final bag from a waste basket,
and when she walked back out the chair was gone. Maybe 30 seconds,
a new record. Odd thing is the truck moving away down the street was
a U-Haul Rental truck. Can't quite figure that one out. Usually the
metal collectors have beat up pick-ups.

--Vic

Scrap steel is $4-500 a ton now. May be the reason they will take a car
free.

wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:53:50 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Scrap steel is $4-500 a ton now. May be the reason they will take a car
free.

A quarter a pound? It is more like 3 cents for mixed steel according
to the scrappers and my masonry contractor is getting 8 cents for
clean rebar cutoffs.

Guy told me today that the local scrap dealer is gettign the $4-500 ton. I
have not bought any steel for at least 8 months. But scrap sheet copper was
$4 a pound for an art project at Alco Iron and Metal in San Leandro 6 months
ago.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:08:50 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

The same is true of scrap paper, there basically is no
market for it.

That figures. By volume, scrap paper is the top American export.

http://greenyes.grrn.org/2005/02/msg00051.html

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:56:07 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Check with the power company. Here in Calif they will pick up older excess
refrigerators and freezers and you get a check for $35.

Thanks for that tip. I recently bought a new "efficient" washing
machine and they didn't have an "energy rebate" program here like in
Oregon. Guy there reported he got a $125 utility rebate and a $146
state tax credit on a new washer that was already on sale.
I looked and ComEd will pay 25 bucks for the fridge and haul it away.
Now my decision is whether I should just leave it on the curb for the
scrappers, who might feed a hungry little kid with the proceeds,
or they might buy beer with the proceeds.
Or schedule a pickup with ComEd.
I'm not sure what I'd do with that money - maybe buy a large stuffed
cheese & sausage pizza at Giordano's. Or some beer.
There's some considerations here about what is the best approach
for me, best for the scrappers, and best for the national economy.
Wait. I'll just ask my wife, and do what she says.
That usually works good, and I can blame her for any bad results if it
doesn't.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

When we put the cabinets in my home office, we called Catholic Charities
to come and pick up our perfectly good 2nd refrigerator, because it
didn't match the other applicances. Donation. They hauled it, and either
sold it as a used appliance at their store to a family needing a
refrigerator or they gave it to such a family.

There are several charities who do this sort of thing and are legit.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:52:47 -0400, HK wrote:

There are several charities who do this sort of thing and are legit.

I wouldn't wish this one on anybody. Circa '50's maybe, with the
flap-down-door freezer. Was in the basement when we bought the house.
It keeps beer cold fine and runs real quiet. But I bet it's costing
me 15 bucks a month electricity and I only open it once every couple
weeks to grab a beer. It's gotta go.

--Vic

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:12:49 GMT, John H.
wrote:

Wait. I'll just ask my wife, and do what she says.
That usually works good, and I can blame her for any bad results if it
doesn't.

--Vic

VERY wise, Vic.

That's just what she says. So everybody's happy.

--Vic