Default Economic Indicator?

A few years ago I had the local boneyard come tow a '90 Corsica away
from my doorstep. They wanted the title and I gave it to them.
They didn't offer anything for the car, and I didn't expect anything.
Two years ago I called to have them tow away a '93 Beretta.
They refused to do it without the title, which my daughter had lost.
I coaxed them into it with 50 bucks.
An couple hours ago I called the boneyard to have them tow away a '93
Corsica. My son couldn't find the title. They asked how much I
wanted, and I said just come get it. Didn't mention the title.
Sounded like the same dispatcher, and it was certainly the same tow
truck driver. Not too many guys with Amish style beards around here.
The car is already gone. After he had it hooked the driver asked if
I had a title, I said nope, and he took off. My kid will be happy I
don't have to sock him for 50 bucks, which I had warned him might
happen.
More junk collectors on garbage day too.
My wife leaned a broken aluminum lawn chair on the trash can in the
street, walked into the house to get a final bag from a waste basket,
and when she walked back out the chair was gone. Maybe 30 seconds,
a new record. Odd thing is the truck moving away down the street was
a U-Haul Rental truck. Can't quite figure that one out. Usually the
metal collectors have beat up pick-ups.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

It'll show up at a garage sale.

I've taken a few things out to the nearest state road and put a "FREE"
sign on it, and within an hour or two, they're gone.

I'd try that with the Seven Dwarfs here, but I'm afraid I'd have to pay
a hauling fee.

On Jul 21, 11:35*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
[...]

After getting back in my house after a recent catastrophic event, I
was in bed and not able to sleep. There was a lot of construction
lumber and stuff in the front of the house, and I heard a car pull up.
Opened up the windows and asked what's going on. A school aged
sounding girl said "we're looking for scrap in your garbage". That's
sad, I told them to take whatever. After I got back in bed, I thought
about it, and hope that they aren't so desperate that they have to
count on my garbage to get a meal.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:35 am, Vic Smith
wrote:
[...]

Mrs. Loogy locked you out?

On Jul 21, 12:02*pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:35 am, Vic Smith
wrote:
[...]

Mrs. Loogy locked you out?- Hide quoted text -

Eat ****, you low life.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:00:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

After getting back in my house after a recent catastrophic event, I
was in bed and not able to sleep. There was a lot of construction
lumber and stuff in the front of the house, and I heard a car pull up.
Opened up the windows and asked what's going on. A school aged
sounding girl said "we're looking for scrap in your garbage". That's
sad, I told them to take whatever. After I got back in bed, I thought
about it, and hope that they aren't so desperate that they have to
count on my garbage to get a meal.

Doubtful, with all the aid programs available.
I was cleaning the garage recently of all the crap my kid has piled up
fixing cars and had some stuff on the driveway.
An old pickup with a little Mexican guy in a baseball cap driving
stopped in the street and gave me an inquisitive look.
I waved him over and him and his little guy passenger also wearing a
ball cap came across the street to where I was already piling up
alternators, manifolds, a compressor, and assorted other good scrap
for them.
As they got close I was thinking "Man, these are little guys."
They had their heads down, but when I talked to them they lifted them.
I thought, "Man, these guys are real pretty. What's wrong with me?"
Luckily, it was two girls. First time I saw that too.
They didn't know what the hell they were doing because they were
willing to take anything I put near them, even plastic cowlings that
looked like metal, but I didn't let them take anything worthless and
wasting their space. They scored a lot of copper.

--Vic

Vic Smith wrote in
:

My wife leaned a broken aluminum lawn chair on the trash can in the
street, walked into the house to get a final bag from a waste basket,
and when she walked back out the chair was gone. Maybe 30 seconds,
a new record. Odd thing is the truck moving away down the street was
a U-Haul Rental truck. Can't quite figure that one out. Usually the
metal collectors have beat up pick-ups.

This is also a great way of getting rid of dead boat batteries. I had a
couple to unload so sat them out by my storage building, as if I was going
to store them inside, later. Within an hour, the time it took to go eat a
hamburger, they were gone!

Having lots of illegal Mexicans in your city does have a few advantages....
(c;

My neighbor saw them spot the batteries, look around, then hustle across my
lawn to collect them, scurrying away like wharf rats finding a sandwich on
the docks. She called me on my cell and I told her not to spook them while
I was getting rid of some dead boat batteries....much to her amusement.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:03:00 +0000, Larry wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

[...]

I make sure I don't have anything outside I want to keep on garbage
day. Had 6 dead auto batteries and one motorcycle battery in the
trunk of the car just towed away, tail real low.
I wonder what those batteries are worth for the lead. I seem to
recall you used to be able to get 2 bucks for them.

--Vic