Default Need engine recommendation (Yamaha)

Greetings,

I have been lurking awhile but am new to this site. I'm thinking of
upgrading my 17' Gregor (hull wt 925#) from a 40hp Nissan 2-stroke.
Max mfg. hp rating is 70. The boats sports a 6hp 4-stroke kicker.
Minimizing engine weight is a top consideration. Thinking of using a
70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Any other suggestions? Any problems/reservations
concerning this particular Yamaha? With a 4-stroke kicker, there seems
no reason not to enjoy the superior torque of a 2-stroke. What sort of
price range might I expect for selling a low-hour, 40-hp 2002 Nissan?
Your thoughts appreciated...
-John

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:43:14 -0700 (PDT), JohnDeere
wrote:

Greetings,

I have been lurking awhile but am new to this site. I'm thinking of
upgrading my 17' Gregor (hull wt 925#) from a 40hp Nissan 2-stroke.
Max mfg. hp rating is 70. The boats sports a 6hp 4-stroke kicker.
Minimizing engine weight is a top consideration. Thinking of using a
70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Any other suggestions? Any problems/reservations
concerning this particular Yamaha? With a 4-stroke kicker, there seems
no reason not to enjoy the superior torque of a 2-stroke. What sort of
price range might I expect for selling a low-hour, 40-hp 2002 Nissan?
Your thoughts appreciated...

If you have a four stroke kicker, then consider a four stroke
70/60/50. That way you don't have to fuss with oil anymore and can
hook the two engines together with a T-fitting to run off the main gas
tank rather than carry two gas tanks. The new kicker on my Ranger
is a two stroke 40 hp ETEC which has an onboard oil tank - I wouldn't
have done it unless it had a seperate oil tank - two oil tanks would
have been a pain in the...

At least that's the way I would go.

As far as four strokes, don't know much about Nissan engines. Do know
about Suzuki engines and they are reliable (their service network can
be suspect though) - we have a contributor here who has bigger
Squeezukis and he likes them a lot. Honda is a possibility - the
Euros who run small boats love Hondas. And of course, in the opinion
of some, the finest four stroke on the market is Yamaha.

About the only thing I know about Nissan is getting them serviced if
something goes wrong - I don't think they have a very strong
dealer/service network. In that sense, Yamaha is probably your best
bet - they do have a strong dealer/service network.

On Jul 14, 7:43*pm, JohnDeere wrote:
Greetings,

I have been lurking awhile but am new to this site. I'm thinking of
upgrading my 17' Gregor (hull wt 925#) from a 40hp Nissan 2-stroke.
Max mfg. hp rating is 70. The boats sports a 6hp 4-stroke kicker.
Minimizing engine weight is a top consideration. Thinking of using a
70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Any other suggestions? Any problems/reservations
concerning this particular Yamaha? With a 4-stroke kicker, there seems
no reason not to enjoy the superior torque of a 2-stroke. What sort of
price range might I expect for selling a low-hour, 40-hp 2002 Nissan?
Your thoughts appreciated...
-John

I have a 16' Starcraft with a 60 horse 4 stroke Merc EFI. The gas tank
holds 16 gallons. At 4,200 RPM I use about 2 gallons per hour. I'm
very happy with the motor choice.
HK HK is offline

Larry wrote:
JohnDeere wrote in news:6fb3f814-d407-4c05-
:

Greetings,

I have been lurking awhile but am new to this site. I'm thinking of
upgrading my 17' Gregor (hull wt 925#) from a 40hp Nissan 2-stroke.
Max mfg. hp rating is 70. The boats sports a 6hp 4-stroke kicker.
Minimizing engine weight is a top consideration. Thinking of using a
70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Any other suggestions? Any problems/reservations
concerning this particular Yamaha? With a 4-stroke kicker, there seems
no reason not to enjoy the superior torque of a 2-stroke. What sort of
price range might I expect for selling a low-hour, 40-hp 2002 Nissan?
Your thoughts appreciated...
-John

Better just keep the 6hp kicker on it. Only Bill Gates will be able to
feed a 70hp 2 or 4 stroker within the next year and your 6hp kicker will
scream right by those guys rowing the runabouts with dead twin 275's on
their sterns. The electric trolling motor boys will all be jealous....

The river here has ALREADY gotten much quieter this summer. Even the
rednecks towing tubes of little kids trying to get the alligators to take
them are notably absent!

Actually, I'm pleased with the fuel burn on my Yamaha 150. At any of the
speeds I like to run, I'm not overly enriching the Cheney Administration
or its bloodsucking supporters.

I'm in favor of towing tubes of little kids as alligator bait, by the way.

Any idea what the gph consumption of a 70 hp 2 stroke might be?

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not overly concerned about pairing a
2 and 4 stroke main and kicker, provided that the 2 stroke is oil
injected from a reservoir under the cowling. I can use one fuel
source, right?

Is the fuel consumption of a 2 stroke roughly comparable to a 4
stroke? I know there are differences between carburetion and efi--
just looking for a generalization. I prefer a light engine on this
light boat.

Thanks,

John

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:19:36 -0400, HK wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:05:58 -0400, HK wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..

Most of what you fellows do, 24-7, is either fling juvenile insults,
discuss subjects that have nothing to do with any aspect or boating, or
act like idiots.

Because of you and your dwarfs, I simply gave up on this place as a
forum for boating discussions, and I freely admit I show up mainly to
watch the aberrant behavior of you and your buddies.

If all you did was "watch", a good chunk of the problem would go away.
You don't "watch". You (and others) pounce upon certain individuals
regardless of the subject of their posts or to whom they are addressed.

The only way to restore rec.boats to something other than a personal
insult free-for-all would be for everybody to retire the past, forget
about old issues and conflicts, and post as if all were meeting for the
first time. Problem is, it would require 100% participation and that just
isn't going to happen.

Eisboch

tell you what, Richard, as an old Westvillian to an aging Amityite, you
work assiduously on getting the seven dwarfs to behave and I'll work on
the rest.

how's that?

No thanks. It would be like trying to solve a Catch-22.

*I* can't fix it. *You* can't fix it. But if all the participants were
seriously motivated and committed to reviving rec.boats to it's former
glory, it can be done by simply resisting the urge to post idiotic
claims/counterclaims.

It can't be "my" rules .... "your" rules or anybody else's "rules".

Eisboch

Well, then, I go back to my original post on this to you...that as a
boating newsgroup, this place is lost, and that I show up mainly to
watch the aberrant behavior of the seven dwarfs and (as you mentioned)
to crap on one of their heads from time to time.

None of the seven, so far as I can tell, has the slightest interest in
boating related subjects or, if they do, they seem incapable of making
any but the most empty headed of posts (e.g., I took my kid wakeboarding
yesterday, or, I took my 93 grandchildren on a cruise).

So...

Harry, your statement, "I show up mainly to watch aberrant behavior...", is
belied by the sheer quantity of attack posts you make here.

I am willing to make you a deal. I will make no posts on Chuck's Island if
you make no more than one more post here, in answer to this one.

Look what you'd have to gain!

Deal.

Not that you had anything to add, boating-wise, there or here.

Jim Jim is offline

"hk" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
JohnDeere wrote in
:

[...]

Well bring your kids on down to lake Jessup near Orlando. There are
reportedly 15,000 Gators in that pond.

On Jul 14, 11:00*pm, hk wrote:
Larry wrote:
[...]

I'm in favor of towing tubes of little kids as alligator bait, by the way..- Hide quoted text -

That's SO refined and cultured. Only a narcississt on your level would
want to use children as alligator bait.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Jul 14, 11:00 pm, hk wrote:
Larry wrote:
[...]

From Loogy:

" I'm an idiot? Please show us where I said I'd never post here again.
This is the place where you make up another of your lies, low life."

"I'm out."
Loogy 7-10-2008