Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] is offline

Default Need engine recommendation (Yamaha)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:43:14 -0700 (PDT), JohnDeere
wrote:

Greetings,

I have been lurking awhile but am new to this site. I'm thinking of
upgrading my 17' Gregor (hull wt 925#) from a 40hp Nissan 2-stroke.
Max mfg. hp rating is 70. The boats sports a 6hp 4-stroke kicker.
Minimizing engine weight is a top consideration. Thinking of using a
70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Any other suggestions? Any problems/reservations
concerning this particular Yamaha? With a 4-stroke kicker, there seems
no reason not to enjoy the superior torque of a 2-stroke. What sort of
price range might I expect for selling a low-hour, 40-hp 2002 Nissan?
Your thoughts appreciated...

If you have a four stroke kicker, then consider a four stroke
70/60/50. That way you don't have to fuss with oil anymore and can
hook the two engines together with a T-fitting to run off the main gas
tank rather than carry two gas tanks. The new kicker on my Ranger
is a two stroke 40 hp ETEC which has an onboard oil tank - I wouldn't
have done it unless it had a seperate oil tank - two oil tanks would
have been a pain in the...

At least that's the way I would go.

As far as four strokes, don't know much about Nissan engines. Do know
about Suzuki engines and they are reliable (their service network can
be suspect though) - we have a contributor here who has bigger
Squeezukis and he likes them a lot. Honda is a possibility - the
Euros who run small boats love Hondas. And of course, in the opinion
of some, the finest four stroke on the market is Yamaha.

About the only thing I know about Nissan is getting them serviced if
something goes wrong - I don't think they have a very strong
dealer/service network. In that sense, Yamaha is probably your best
bet - they do have a strong dealer/service network.