Default Scary boat ride...

wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 19:42:59 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

What kind of fuel consumption do you have at 70?

Not good. :)

Probably somewhere around 20 gallons pe hour.

Ouch, That is like throwing a quarter over the side every second.
It is about what I expected to hear tho.
I know my stucco contractor was crying that he just put $4000 in his
47 footer and he was probably going to need to fill up again before
they got back from the Keys. I had just given him $1600 cash and joked
that he could fill up his boat now.

To some of us, 20 gph is pretty damn good. I can't complain too much
though. The new old boat burns just about 24 gph at an easy cruise. I just
don't push it much beyond that required to get on plane and trim it out.
That's not bad for gas engines on a 40 foot boat.

I feel badly for a few friends running high powered sportsfish type boats
burning 40, 50 or more gph. One guy I know with a new, 50' Buddy Davis burns
upwards of 80 gph or more running out to the Canyons. Haven't seen him go
out much this year.

Eisboch

On Jul 7, 3:28*pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 13:32:57 -0400, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:48:47 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Chickened out at 70 mph when the boat started to chine walk.
What kind of fuel consumption do you have at 70?

I notice our wave warriors are running al a more modest speed these
days

I thought they would be, too, but the last few times out, I heard and
then saw a few twin or trip V8 penis boats roaring by at the usual
insane speeds. If they are close enough for the occupants to see us, we
always give them the friendly single-finger salute they deserve for
disturbing the peace.

I don't have that visceral a reaction to anyone who is operating in a
safe manner. Everyone has the right to waste money any way they want.

"Everyone" doesn't have the "right" to be aurally obnoxious when the
same sorts of boats, properly muffled, are good citizens. But, of
course, does a superfast boat that is properly muffled qualify as a
penis boat?

We actually saw one on the water today.................a rare site
nowadays. This one was orange and operated by the stereotypical bald
and pot bellied man in a wife beater shirt with plenty of gold
bling................a dying breed once prevalent on the waters; ;-)

On Jul 6, 6:40*pm, wrote:
On Jul 6, 6:36*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 17:59:30 -0400, HK wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Launched around 12 noon and was surprised that there weren't many
boats at the ramp - maybe ten/twelve trailers and the ramp was
completely open.

Cruising out of the launch area, the water was flat dead calm and not
another boater in sight. *Once I made Middle Pond on Webster Lake, I
looked around - nothing - nobody. *Then I heard the music and figured
out that there was a concert going on at Indian Ranch - that must have
been where the boats were anchored in Reid Smith Cove.

So I decided to open up the engine and let it rip.

Chickened out at 70 mph when the boat started to chine walk.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a speed fiend - I like speed, but
not in an open boat at that speed.

Man that boat is fast.

Other than that, it was a pretty good afternoon - weather front moving
in and the fish were active for a couple of hours - mostly largemouth
in the 2 lb range, but I managed to hit a very nice smallmouth in the
3 lb range - unusual for this time of year in shallow water - usually
you have to hunt them in the deeper parts of the lake.

Well, the boat goes back tomorrow morning - my Ranger won't be ready
until the middle of the week and that's fine - I've got some home
projects to do while Mrs. Wave is away - like paint the bedroom. *Nice
surprise for her as she's been after me to do it for the past couple
of years.

I thought you were going to accompany the working member of your
immediate household to the cultural center of the universe down here?

Things changed - personal issue.

Probably late July now.- Hide quoted text -

Don't feed the idiots!!- Hide quoted text -

Ya...DONT TALK TO LOOGY THE COWARD ****.

Jim Jim is offline

"JimH" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

This is a family group JIMH. If you and WAFA want to discuss penis, take it
off line. Exchange photos too, if you like. Careful of Harry's photo taking
tactics though. He tends to inflate things with his high resolution snap
shots.

wrote:

Chickened out at 70 mph when the boat started to chine walk.

What kind of fuel consumption do you have at 70?

I notice our wave warriors are running al a more modest speed these
days

I thought they would be, too, but the last few times out, I heard and
then saw a few twin or trip V8 penis boats roaring by at the usual
insane speeds. If they are close enough for the occupants to see us, we
always give them the friendly single-finger salute they deserve for
disturbing the peace.

I don't have that visceral a reaction to anyone who is operating in a
safe manner. Everyone has the right to waste money any way they want.- Hide quoted text -

You have to remember how fat, old nail biting grumpy men operate. It's
the same as on the highway. They'll get in the fast lane, go 50mph and
complain that someone's on their tail. Then get in the slow lane and
complain that someone is doing the speed limit. In other words,
everybody else's driving is atrocious but their own.
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

Chickened out at 70 mph when the boat started to chine walk.

What kind of fuel consumption do you have at 70?

I notice our wave warriors are running al a more modest speed these
days

I thought they would be, too, but the last few times out, I heard and
then saw a few twin or trip V8 penis boats roaring by at the usual
insane speeds. If they are close enough for the occupants to see us, we
always give them the friendly single-finger salute they deserve for
disturbing the peace.

I don't have that visceral a reaction to anyone who is operating in a
safe manner. Everyone has the right to waste money any way they want.

Translation:
WAFA, AKA HARRY KRAUSE, HAKR, etc. has that sort of reaction to things
larger than what he has. Boats, gas tanks, cars, bank accounts, penis, etc.
You name it He hates it. And if he sees you have any of those things he will
flip you the bird; from a safe distance, of course.

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:45:02 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It's really interesting when I get to use different boats - I like to
play around and compare to my boat. What I have found out over the
eight years I've owned my 200 C Ranger it that it doesn't behave like
other boats when we're discussing things like GPH/MPG.

When I had the 200 FICHT (20" shaft/no jack plate/three blade prop) on
it, it had better performance figures than similar boats, but not
anywhere near significant - maybe .5/.75 gph better than the FICHTS on
my first Contender for instance. When I repowered with the ETEC 200
HO (25" shaft/jack plate/four blade prop) it became a whole different
ball game and there were significant performance gains ever over the
second Contender that had the same engines on it.

I can't honestly say exactly what the combination of engine and boat
is that makes it unique. It's about 1,200 lbs heavier than current
models of the same boat and it's hull configuration is slightly
different. Compared to other boats of it's style and configuration,
it outperforms in terms of speed and fuel efficiency by a pretty
significant amount.

I don't think I'll ever sell it - well unless somebody want to offer
me - say $60K or thereabouts. :)

Nice day for a boat ride... Eisboch General 3 July 3rd 08 11:46 AM
A Super Boat Ride... John H. General 86 April 17th 08 12:46 PM
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride) Garrison Hilliard General 5 July 8th 05 05:44 PM
Nice Day for a boat ride Capt. Frank Hopkins General 1 January 28th 04 05:07 AM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM