Default Tragic Loss of Life on Lake Erie

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...ont/795327.txt

Quote: Authorities have not ruled out operator inattention, speed or
alcohol as a cause of the accident. They did not believe wind or water
conditions played a role.

While Steinle was never tested for alcohol in his system, his boat was
boarded and inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard minutes before the
crash. One of his lights had a problem that was corrected on the spot,
Johnston said.

Miller's recovered body will undergo toxicology tests.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources in Columbus does not have a
record of Miller ever owning a boating education card. The law is that
anyone born after Jan. 1, 1982, must complete an education course
before operating a watercraft of greater than 10 horsepower.

"According to our records, he did not have any completion of any
boater safety class that we're aware of," Wisse said. "It doesn't mean
he didn't complete something, somewhere, but we don't have a record of
it."

End quote.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------------------------

Quote: *Authorities have not ruled out operator inattention, speed or
alcohol as a cause of the accident. They did not believe wind or water
conditions played a role.

What's your point? The "authorities" also haven't ruled out suicide,
heart attack, seizure, diabetic coma, a fall, and on and on.

On Jun 20, 7:28*am, wrote:
On Jun 19, 5:15*pm, JimH wrote:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...ont/795327.txt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------------------------

Quote: *Authorities have not ruled out operator inattention, speed or
alcohol as a cause of the accident. They did not believe wind or water
conditions played a role.

What's your point? The "authorities" also haven't ruled out suicide,
heart attack, seizure, diabetic coma, a fall, and on and on.

sigh

I should have known better than to post something relating to boating
here.

sigh

I should have known better than to post something relating to boating
here.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - there are ignorant people
everywhere.

I'd like to thank you for posting the note - my brother lives just off
Lake Erie on the other side of Cleveland and we've taken our boat up
there for several lake runs - always a good time. It just surprises
me that people go out running that late at night (approx 12:30 am),
presumably above 20mph, with MINIMAL lighting on the boat. I'm sorry
that this resulted in a loss of life, but I can't imagine running
around in those conditions - even if there was a (near) full moon on
Monday.

--------------------------
GDSmith
Harpers Ferry, WV

2003 Baja 242 Islander
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Baja001.html

On Jun 20, 10:16*am, GDSmith wrote:
[...]

I agree with you regarding the operators being out at such a late hour
and traveling at excessive speeds.

I would be surprised if it is determined that alcohol was not involved.

On Jun 20, 10:51*am, JimH wrote:
[...]

I would be surprised if it is determined that alcohol was not involved.- Hide quoted text -

Nice, guilty already.......typical.
DK DK is offline

GDSmith wrote:
[...]

JimH would consider your boat to be a "I call them "Go Fast" or
"Obnoxious" boats."

Tread lightly. He can be a huge asshole.

On Jun 20, 8:48*pm, DK wrote:
GDSmith wrote:
[...]

Tread lightly. *He can be a huge asshole.- Hide quoted text -

Here's something funny. I see over at Chuck's that JimH is chastising
someone because he has interests "other than boating". He then comes
here and whines like a little baby because every single post isn't
about boating........
Jim Jim is offline

"DK" wrote in message
GDSmith wrote:
[...]

What do you mean "can be"?

[...]

I was talking with one of the owners of our marina yesterday and this
accident came up. I then brought up another fatal accident several
years back also involving a cigarette boat hitting another boat at a
high rate of speed.

He told me that the man who was killed was a docker at his marina. He
had just graduated from college with high honors and his parent
purchased him the 29 foot boat as a graduation gift. They went out on
the boat for the first time when a man from Leamington, Canada plowed
his 38 foot boat at 50 mph into the young mans boat.

The accident occurred in broad daylight.

http://justice.org/homepage/boat1008.aspx

http://www-catalog.cpl.org/CLENIX/ACT-4248

Lake Erie Corsair23 General 26 October 6th 07 03:37 AM
Lake Erie Boaters? Jim Carter General 8 December 14th 05 03:55 PM
Sailing on Lake Erie jlrogers ASA 12 December 7th 05 02:12 AM
Would like Lake Erie reports Roger Long Cruising 13 December 20th 04 04:27 PM
Some Lake Erie Boaters jeff® General 2 August 18th 04 03:58 AM