posted to alt.sailing.asa
jlrogers

Default Sailing on Lake Erie

At least 8.9 billion gallons of untreated sewage flows yearly into Lake Erie
.... - the same as if 2.5 billion toilets flushed simultaneously into the
lake, ....
The largest single source is an estimated 5.5 billion gallons from the
Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District, serving Cleveland and parts of 59
surrounding communities...

"It's disgusting if you think about it," he said. "Shouldn't you know where
raw sewage is being dumped in the water?"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051201/D8E76E4O6.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Steve Thomas

I was not aware that any city was dumping raw sewage into the Great Lakes as
a part of normal operations. Disgusting if true. I thought that we had a
Great Lakes agreement that made that sort of thing illegal.
Many sewage treatment plants cannot withstand the increased flow during
heavy rain storms, but that is not considered "normal" even though they are
engineered to allow for these events.

"jlrogers" wrote in message
. ..
At least 8.9 billion gallons of untreated sewage flows yearly into Lake

Erie
... - the same as if 2.5 billion toilets flushed simultaneously into the
lake, ....
The largest single source is an estimated 5.5 billion gallons from the
Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District, serving Cleveland and parts of 59
surrounding communities...

"It's disgusting if you think about it," he said. "Shouldn't you know

where
raw sewage is being dumped in the water?"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051201/D8E76E4O6.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Steve Thomas" wrote in message
news
I was not aware that any city was dumping raw sewage into the Great Lakes
as
a part of normal operations. Disgusting if true. I thought that we had a
Great Lakes agreement that made that sort of thing illegal.
Many sewage treatment plants cannot withstand the increased flow during
heavy rain storms, but that is not considered "normal" even though they
are
engineered to allow for these events.

All the GLs are receiving raw sewage on a constant basis, not just during
overflow conditions. They are also receiving industrial waste, but
primarily from Canada. The authorities who oversee these issues have set
what is known as "acceptable levels of pollutants" entering the lakes. Most
of us tend to subscribe to the belief that there is no such thing as an
"acceptable level of pollution," but we aren't in charge. The authorities
claim to be pragmatic, ie--facing reality in the realization that it would
be essentially impossible to stop all pollutant transfer into the GLs. The
really sad part of all this is that the acceptable levels have been
increasing, rather than the converse. One way or another the GLs, like most
other bodies of fresh water, are going to become increasingly polluted.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
k.net...
The sewage is several metres thick on the bottom of the Long Island Sound.

I heard it was that thick at the surface. g

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

That is true down near City Island. Once you
get to Connecticut, it's quite clean. There is
one boat at City Island that discharges directly
overboard at the dock in prodigious quantities..

"Maxprop" wrote

"Bob Crantz" wrote
The sewage is several metres thick on the bottom of the Long Island
Sound.

I heard it was that thick at the surface. g

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Scotty" wrote in message
And how many gallons of water does the lake hold?

A few.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

"Scotty" wrote in message
And how many gallons of water does the lake hold?

Scotty

Being the shallowest it holds the least amount of all the Great Lakes.This
Cleveland business is fairly disgusting. In metro Detroit they are in the
process of upgrading all of the sanitary systems so that they don't discarge
untreated sewage into the river, then of course into the lake. They are just
about completed with the work on this end, they still have a fair amount of
work to do on Lake St. Clair. And of course, discharge of other industrial
waste is strictly forbidden these days, though they still have to deal with
sediment issues. Fortunately for us, Cleveland is downstream.

John Cairns

. ..