Default Tragic Loss of Life on Lake Erie

"JimH" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 10:16 am, GDSmith wrote:
sigh

I should have known better than to post something relating to boating
here.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - there are ignorant people
everywhere.

I'd like to thank you for posting the note - my brother lives just off
Lake Erie on the other side of Cleveland and we've taken our boat up
there for several lake runs - always a good time. It just surprises
me that people go out running that late at night (approx 12:30 am),
presumably above 20mph, with MINIMAL lighting on the boat. I'm sorry
that this resulted in a loss of life, but I can't imagine running
around in those conditions - even if there was a (near) full moon on
Monday.

--------------------------
GDSmith
Harpers Ferry, WV

2003 Baja 242 Islanderhttp://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Baja001.html

I was talking with one of the owners of our marina yesterday and this
accident came up. I then brought up another fatal accident several
years back also involving a cigarette boat hitting another boat at a
high rate of speed.

He told me that the man who was killed was a docker at his marina. He
had just graduated from college with high honors and his parent
purchased him the 29 foot boat as a graduation gift. They went out on
the boat for the first time when a man from Leamington, Canada plowed
his 38 foot boat at 50 mph into the young mans boat.

The accident occurred in broad daylight.

http://justice.org/homepage/boat1008.aspx

http://www-catalog.cpl.org/CLENIX/ACT-4248

At least the drunk operator received some jail time. If the event had
occured up here, he may have gotten house arrest.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...e.html?ref=rss

On Jun 20, 9:21*am, JimH wrote:
On Jun 20, 7:28*am, wrote:

On Jun 19, 5:15*pm, JimH wrote:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...ont/795327.txt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------**--------------------------------

Quote: *Authorities have not ruled out operator inattention, speed or
alcohol as a cause of the accident. They did not believe wind or water
conditions played a role.

What's your point? The "authorities" also haven't ruled out suicide,
heart attack, seizure, diabetic coma, a fall, and on and on.

sigh

I should have known better than to post something relating to boating
here.

I should have known you aren't bright enough to understand. It's the
tone and tact with which you posted, quoting a small part of the big
picture. And the quote was just plain silly, no matter who made it.
Senior Member

On Jun 20, 10:27*am, wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:21*am, JimH wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------***--------------------------------

Quote: *Authorities have not ruled out operator inattention, speed or
alcohol as a cause of the accident. They did not believe wind or water
conditions played a role.

What's your point? The "authorities" also haven't ruled out suicide,
heart attack, seizure, diabetic coma, a fall, and on and on.

sigh

I should have known better than to post something relating to boating
here.

I should have known you aren't bright enough to understand. It's the
tone and tact with which you posted, quoting a small part of the big
picture. And the quote was just plain silly, no matter who made it.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't think so, but anyway.. I am sitting here wondering why most
boats I have been on have a "dead man's throttle". I think I will
start a thread.

On Jun 20, 10:29*am, wrote:
On Jun 20, 10:27*am, wrote:

On Jun 20, 9:21*am, JimH wrote:

On Jun 20, 7:28*am, wrote:

On Jun 19, 5:15*pm, JimH wrote:

[...]

The accident I reported is a prime reason for the kill switch w/
lanyard. Many (most?) States require them on boats and PWC's. Even
the 5 hp outboard I have has one.

"JimH" wrote in message

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------------------------

Quote: Authorities have not ruled out operator inattention, speed or
alcohol as a cause of the accident. They did not believe wind or water
conditions played a role.

What's your point? The "authorities" also haven't ruled out suicide,
heart attack, seizure, diabetic coma, a fall, and on and on.

sigh

I should have known better than to post something relating to boating
here.
----------

Interesting post. Sounds like both boats were under power.

I am no maritime law expert, but I suspect the surviving captain has some
answering to do. Leaving the scene not looking for the other boats
passengers to start. Since both are under power, some fault goes to both.
His argument leaving might hold, but safety over the boat.... will make an
interesting read when the reports come out.

Lake Erie Corsair23 General 26 October 6th 07 03:37 AM
Lake Erie Boaters? Jim Carter General 8 December 14th 05 03:55 PM
Sailing on Lake Erie jlrogers ASA 12 December 7th 05 02:12 AM
Would like Lake Erie reports Roger Long Cruising 13 December 20th 04 04:27 PM
Some Lake Erie Boaters jeff® General 2 August 18th 04 03:58 AM