Default 75 horse Evinrude on a 17 ft Glastron

This is the update to an eight mile an hour 75 horse evinrude on the 17 ft
Glastron.
On my first time out with the boat I had forgotten to put the plug in before
launching. It was in the water at least fiteen to twenty minutes before I
realized the plug hadnt been inserted.
It happens! Been a long time since I had put a boat in the water. Anyhow we
plugged it and turned on the bilge pump and started pumping till we saw the
spray. Holding the old cracked plastic
elbow in place we pumped till it quit pumping water. I found out it was
still full of water, thats the reason it only went eight miles an hour. The
bilge pump wasnt pumping any water from under
the main deck where the plug hole is located. I cant see anyplace to put the
pump hose through the deck. There is a twelve gallon gas tank that blocks
most of the area. Did Glastron put a hole in the top deck anywhere for a
bilge pump ? Or do I need to drill a hole of my own near the back somewhere
to insert a one inch hose to the bottom of the boat for pumping ?
When I pulled the plug this afternoon there wasnt a drop of water this time
and the boat actually got up to twenty eight miles an hour according to the
gps. I took the cover off the engine and can manually move the throttle
about another inch for mor speed but was thinking it might be set back a
little purposely for some reason unknown to me other than to protect the
engine for longer life.
I paid twenty five hundred for the 1971 Glastron Crestflite with the seventy
five horse 1983 Evinrude. Im now thinking it wasnt a bad deal after
all...... Regards All Jim

On Sat, 24 May 08, "Jim Swope jr" wrote:
bilge pump wasnt pumping any water from under
the main deck where the plug hole is located. I cant see anyplace to put the
pump hose through the deck. There is a twelve gallon gas tank that blocks
most of the area. Did Glastron put a hole in the top deck anywhere for a
bilge pump ? Or do I need to drill a hole of my own near the back somewhere
to insert a one inch hose to the bottom of the boat for pumping ?

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. First, the boat's drain
plug is usually thru the bottom of the transom. When the bow of the
boat is tilted up, the bilge water runs aft where it either drains out
the transom hole (when it's on the trailer) or is picked up by the
bilge pump (when the transom plug is in) which is located just forward
of the transom, usually right in front of the drain hole. A bilge
pump's hose is usually for outflow. It's not a pickup hose. Water is
picked up directly by the pump housing itself which can happily
operate under water.
Is that not the way your boat is set up?

Rick

I guess this must be a really old pump or for somthing else because it does
have an inlet hose and an outlet. I see the new pumps are pretty much like a
sump pump with only an outlet.
And i guess I cant find any way to get the pump hose, let alone a newer
type pump body down into the transom area unless I remove the fuel tank. I
will dig around some more to see if I can find access to where the pump
needs to be.
wrote in message
[...]

Most outboard designs I'm familiar with have a well back there. Or at
least some way to get to the bottom of the transom (inside). Is your
fuel tank intalled at floor level over the well? (essentially hiding
the well) Personally, I would find some other place to mount the tank
if that's the case. Access to that well could be important some day.

On Sun, 25 May 08 "Jim Swope jr" wrote:
I guess this must be a really old pump or for somthing else because it does
have an inlet hose and an outlet. I see the new pumps are pretty much like a
sump pump with only an outlet.
And i guess I cant find any way to get the pump hose, let alone a newer
type pump body down into the transom area unless I remove the fuel tank. I
will dig around some more to see if I can find access to where the pump
needs to be.

PhantMan wrote

Around 5/25/2008 9:01 AM, Jim Swope jr wrote:

Im thinking you are right. The metal tank has been fibreglassed (and not a
very professional job)in place and is more than likely covering the original
well hole you are talking about.

That sounds plausible... How do you access the drain plug?

I can't seem to find a picture of the cutout on Blue-Boat, but there
should be a semi-circle cutout where the deck meets the transom through
which you can access the drain plug and put a bilge pump. If equipped
with a built-in gas tank, Glastrons of the era tended to have it below
the deck up in the bow.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

75 horse evinrude on a 17 ft glastron Jim Swope jr General 6 May 19th 08 09:47 PM
Getting back on the horse again mr.b Cruising 2 February 8th 07 10:06 PM
Hobby Horse? Gordon Cruising 19 December 17th 06 10:28 AM
Glastron Mike in Texas General 10 August 5th 05 10:12 PM
F/S 24' Glastron don seymour General 0 July 23rd 03 06:37 PM