Default Bennett "AutoTab" Control?

Has anyone tried this?

I bought one and have issues -- last I heard was that bennett was checking with
the engineers and would get back to me "tomorrow" (that was last week)

I'm having two issues with it. I'm hopeful the brain-trust here can come up
with a solution.

Issue 1: pitch/roll

The roll is spot on -- I can walk or redistribute weight and in a matter of
seconds; the boat is re-trimmed to be flat.

However, the pitch has a bow-down bias. In otherwords, it puts the tabs down to
level the boat side-side, but never releases; so the result is the bow will end
up getting stuffed down after a bit.

Issue 2: canceling auto control

the unit is supposed to auto-cancel when you manually adjust. This works fine,
most of the time.

It "learns" when it's at the end of the stroke -- ie: it tries to put it down
more, doesn't sense an attitude change, so it stops trying after about a minute.

Once it "gives up" trying; it won't auto-release from auto-control. ie:
manually adjusting it should release it; but it doesn't -- you've got to power
it off and back on in order to get it to release.

Anyone have:
A) any ideas
B) similar problems

Thanks
-josh

Josh Assing wrote:
[...]

I can't help on that unit/model but I'd like to point out
that after having similar software control system issues
with an auto-pilot I will never again buy an expensive
electronic system without ensuring it has the capability of
easy and inexpensive software updates.

Buggy software and extremely ****ty pre-sale beta testing by Bennett.
In other words, a typical US product and company.
JR

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:13:28 -0700, Josh Assing
wrote:

[...]

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

This is an example of poor thought process. Why should you even need a
software update, even if it's readilly available, in order to make a
retail product perform correctly, the way it's supposed to, and think
this is an OK way to address poor quality control? It's one thing for
a software update to improve fuctionality, or add new functions or
features, expand a database, etc. It's quite another to have one to
correct a functional defect the product should in no way have in the
first place. Has the company paid you to beta test it's product?
JR

Josh Assing wrote:
[...]

Because you can not test every possible error condition. That is why there
are product updates. Be glad that they fix it when someone finds an error.

JR North wrote:
This is an example of poor thought process. Why should you even need a
software update, even if it's readilly available, in order to make a
retail product perform correctly, the way it's supposed to, and think
this is an OK way to address poor quality control? It's one thing for
a software update to improve fuctionality, or add new functions or
features, expand a database, etc. It's quite another to have one to
correct a functional defect the product should in no way have in the
first place. Has the company paid you to beta test it's product?
JR

I think it's better to have the ability to upgrade software
than not. In an ideal world it would be unnecessary but
everything of more than trivial complexity has flaws. I've
spent the last year and a half adapting to new (cheaper) EDA
CAD tools and the vendor definitely should be paying me
extra to beta test. I'm torn between refunding half my
salary for reduced productivity and demanding a big raise
for the added aggravation.

Just wanted to give folks an update.

Just over 4 weeks after i was told 'tomorrow' i have heard back that they're
sending me a new control unit to try.

The boat is out of the water getting a radar arch installed -- hopefully I'll be
able to install & test by next week..

So -- "Stay Tuned..."

-josh

Josh Assing wrote:
Just wanted to give folks an update.

Just over 4 weeks after i was told 'tomorrow' i have heard back that they're
sending me a new control unit to try.

The boat is out of the water getting a radar arch installed -- hopefully I'll be
able to install & test by next week..

So -- "Stay Tuned..."

-josh

I would maintain friendly patience. The Bennett people are well known
for outstanding customer service and relations and they go out of their
way to please.

The "autotab" system isn't new. It's been around for quite a few years,
but may have to be fined tuned for your particular boat application.

FB