Default 4cyl vs. 6cyl

I have sort of an "open" question. I currently have an older (1982)
15.5’ trihull with 70HP outboard. I am looking into buying a new boat
and would like some of your opinions on 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl. I’m looking
for a bowrider 17’ to 19’ length. I have been noticing that most of
the boats in this size range have the 4cyl engines, but some (most)
offer a 6 cyl option. It would be used mostly in fresh water lakes
for pleasure/ fishing/ tubing/ some watersking and wakeboarding. I
have two boys who think "the faster, the better". Is the 6 cyl
option generally worth the extra money? Would the 4 cyl generally be
underpowered? I have heard both good and bad regarding both engines.
Any comments would be appreciated.

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface.
Articles individually moderated. Abuse/Problem? Report at http://www.BoatingForumz.com/contact.html

Pretty simple here. If you plan to tow for watersports, then the 6cyl is the
ONLY way to go. I don't know how big your boys are, or how big they'll get,
but it's the torque you'll get from a 6 to get the skiier up, and get the
boat on plane. I can promise you that if you get a 4cyl, you'll be
disappointed.... for watersports. It's cheaper to get the 6 now, rather than
get another boat in a year or two from now when you realize your mistake.

--Mike

"CTBob" wrote in message
news:359634_b938b19fde4b62292ca711ee35271c46@boati ngforumz.com...
[...]

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 21, 9:23*pm, CTBob wrote:
[...]

I'd go with the 4.3 v-6. The 4 cyl 3.0 is economical to run, but if
you're planning on doing a lot of floaty-toy things, you need the v-6.
PLUS it's quieter than the 4 and in a 17' you probably won't notice a
difference it the economy. Now up in a 19' boat you deffinately notice
a difference in the 6 over the 4 concerning the performance.

The 6 would be worth the extra investment.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 02:23:37 GMT, CTBob wrote:

I have sort of an "open" question. I currently have an older (1982)
15.5’ trihull with 70HP outboard. I am looking into buying a new boat
and would like some of your opinions on 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl. I’m looking
for a bowrider 17’ to 19’ length. I have been noticing that most of
the boats in this size range have the 4cyl engines, but some (most)
offer a 6 cyl option. It would be used mostly in fresh water lakes
for pleasure/ fishing/ tubing/ some watersking and wakeboarding. I
have two boys who think "the faster, the better". Is the 6 cyl
option generally worth the extra money? Would the 4 cyl generally be
underpowered? I have heard both good and bad regarding both engines.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Echo Mike and Tim.

Six cylinders - eight would be even better, but six will suffice.

"CTBob" wrote in message

[...]

Thread archive:http://www.BoatingForumz.com/4cyl-6c...ict98266.html- Hide quoted text -

Agreed! My 18' Scorpion has a 3.0. It's fast enough for the little
boat, and will pull it's self on plane well. And tubing is "ok" but
even pulling a light kid on ski's? It's a pooch.

get the v-6
DK DK is offline

CTBob wrote:
I have sort of an "open" question. I currently have an older (1982)
15.5’ trihull with 70HP outboard. I am looking into buying a new boat
and would like some of your opinions on 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl. I’m looking
for a bowrider 17’ to 19’ length. I have been noticing that most of
the boats in this size range have the 4cyl engines, but some (most)
offer a 6 cyl option. It would be used mostly in fresh water lakes
for pleasure/ fishing/ tubing/ some watersking and wakeboarding. I
have two boys who think "the faster, the better". Is the 6 cyl
option generally worth the extra money? Would the 4 cyl generally be
underpowered? I have heard both good and bad regarding both engines.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Have you considered keeping an outboard?

Here's one example:

http://glastron.com/us/boatpages/gt180.html
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 22, 6:20*pm, DK wrote:
CTBob wrote:
I have sort of an "open" question. *I currently have an older (1982)
15.5’ trihull with 70HP outboard. *I am looking into buying a new boat
and would like some of your opinions on 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl. *I’m looking
for a bowrider 17’ to 19’ length. *I have been noticing that most of
the boats in this size range have the 4cyl engines, but some (most)
offer a 6 cyl option. *It would be used mostly in fresh water lakes
for pleasure/ fishing/ tubing/ some watersking and wakeboarding. *I
have two boys who think "the faster, the better". *Is the 6 cyl
option generally worth the extra money? *Would the 4 cyl generally be
underpowered? *I have heard both good and bad regarding both engines.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Have you considered keeping an outboard?

Here's one example:

http://glastron.com/us/boatpages/gt180.html

Nice looking boat?

What design is an Evinrude 115 DSLSD ?

Never heard of a DSLSD....
DK DK is offline

Tim wrote:
On Apr 22, 6:20 pm, DK wrote:
CTBob wrote:
[...]

E-Tecs, of course. I have no idea what that is. I do know ELPTO!

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:55:41 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Apr 22, 6:20*pm, DK wrote:
CTBob wrote:
[...]

D= Remote Electric Start, S=Special Color (white), L=20" shaft, SL is
the last digit of model year and model run.

That last SL bit may not be right, but I'm pretty sure about the rest.