Default 1966 Mercury outboard motor

I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

On Apr 18, 9:57*pm, "Jim" wrote:
wrote in message

I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

Yes ;-

Thanks. I'm looking into a plugged water intake. Engine does not run
rough so hopefully it's not a serious problem.
Mike
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 18, 8:13�pm, wrote:
I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

if it runs rough, it could also be a bad head gasket allowing exhust
into the cooling chamber[s]
Jim Jim is offline

"Tim" wrote in message
On Apr 18, 8:13�pm, wrote:
I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

if it runs rough, it could also be a bad head gasket allowing exhust
into the cooling chamber[s]

Absolutely. Overheating often blows head gaskets and warps heads.

On Apr 18, 10:04Â*pm, Tim wrote:
On Apr 18, 8:13�pm, wrote:

I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

if it runs rough, it could also be a bad head gasket allowing exhust
into the cooling chamber[s]

Thank you. I have some dirt near the water intake so hopefully that
is the only problem.

Mike
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 20, 6:27Â*am, wrote:
On Apr 18, 10:04Â*pm, Tim wrote:

On Apr 18, 8:13�pm, wrote:

I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

if it runs rough, it could also be a bad head gasket allowing exhust
into the cooling chamber[s]

Thank you. Â*I have some dirt near the water intake so hopefully that
is the only problem.

Mike

If tht be the case it might not be your ONLY problem. if the dirt/grit
sets forced up into the lower end of your engine, it may lso have
ruined or at least cut up your water pump impellor pretty good. it's
not a complicated process to pull the lower end check/replace your
impeller.

I'd do it if it was mine.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:03:29 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Apr 20, 6:27*am, wrote:
On Apr 18, 10:04*pm, Tim wrote:

On Apr 18, 8:13?pm, wrote:

I have a 1966 50hp Mercury outboard engine. It appears that steam is
coming out of what should be where the cooling water comes out. Does
this sound like a bad impeller, bad thermostat or a plugged water
line?

Mike

if it runs rough, it could also be a bad head gasket allowing exhust
into the cooling chamber[s]

Thank you. *I have some dirt near the water intake so hopefully that
is the only problem.

Mike

If tht be the case it might not be your ONLY problem. if the dirt/grit
sets forced up into the lower end of your engine, it may lso have
ruined or at least cut up your water pump impellor pretty good. it's
not a complicated process to pull the lower end check/replace your
impeller.

I'd do it if it was mine.

I'll second that - if the intake is plugged, the chances of the
impeller being fubar'ed is pretty good.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:29:02 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I'll second that - if the intake is plugged, the chances of the
impeller being fubar'ed is pretty good.

Fubar'ed is incorrect usage. A simple "fubar" would suffice... :-)

Old Motor versus New Motor (outboard) Gil Boat Building 4 November 3rd 07 07:52 AM
Old Motor versus New Motor (outboard) Gil Cruising 0 November 2nd 07 04:15 PM
mercury outboard motor [email protected] General 1 July 18th 06 08:05 PM
Need Maintenance Info on 1995 Mercury 115hp 2-Stroke Outboard Motor [email protected] General 6 November 9th 05 07:34 PM
outboard motor problems 94 Tracker Mercury [email protected] General 0 September 2nd 05 06:03 AM