Default Tuna Feesh on the Dock

Just going through some of my pictures from last year and found this
one that I'd forgotten about:

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nafeeshci5.jpg

Fresh off a sportfishing charter (not mine unfortunately) at Manteo,
NC. These guys go out into the Gulf Stream via Oregon Inlet which is
a seriously high transom boating venue.

On Apr 14, 1:01 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Just going through some of my pictures from last year and found this
one that I'd forgotten about:

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nafeeshci5.jpg

Fresh off a sportfishing charter (not mine unfortunately) at Manteo,
NC. These guys go out into the Gulf Stream via Oregon Inlet which is
a seriously high transom boating venue.

Too bad the quality of those fish was ruined by not properly gutting
and bleeding..
HK HK is offline

jerryeveretts wrote:
On Apr 14, 1:01 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Just going through some of my pictures from last year and found this
one that I'd forgotten about:

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nafeeshci5.jpg

Fresh off a sportfishing charter (not mine unfortunately) at Manteo,
NC. These guys go out into the Gulf Stream via Oregon Inlet which is
a seriously high transom boating venue.

Too bad the quality of those fish was ruined by not properly gutting
and bleeding..

There are plenty of small boats with all manner of transoms on both
sides of Bonner Bridge, and plenty of the same boats that go out into
the Atlantic via Oregon Inlet.

There are several inlets I know of that are as rough as Oregon Inlet
where very few "high transom boats" would dare venture, but all manner
of small boats run almost every day.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:57:24 -0700 (PDT), jerryeveretts
wrote:

Too bad the quality of those fish was ruined by not properly gutting
and bleeding..

Don't know if it makes a difference or not but they had been caught
that afternoon and packed in ice until minutes before I took the
picture. They went immediately from there to be cleaned. Right or
wrong, that seemed to be typical local procedure. We had fresh Mahi
Mahi from the dock one night that I cleaned myself and it was quite
tasty.

wrote:
Too bad the quality of those fish was ruined by not properly gutting
and bleeding..

Don't know if it makes a difference or not but they had been caught
that afternoon and packed in ice until minutes before I took the
picture. They went immediately from there to be cleaned. Right or
wrong, that seemed to be typical local procedure. We had fresh Mahi
Mahi from the dock one night that I cleaned myself and it was quite
tasty.

Try this, a good bit of extra work, I would skip the revive before
bleeding, but there are some good ideas here
http://www.ncseagrant.org/files/bluefin_slideshow.swf

They are best if they are bled out while alive, and gutted immediately
after.

wrote:
Too bad the quality of those fish was ruined by not properly gutting
and bleeding..

Don't know if it makes a difference or not but they had been caught
that afternoon and packed in ice until minutes before I took the
picture. They went immediately from there to be cleaned. Right or
wrong, that seemed to be typical local procedure. We had fresh Mahi
Mahi from the dock one night that I cleaned myself and it was quite
tasty.

Try this, a good bit of extra work, I would skip the revive before
bleeding, but there are some good ideas here
http://www.ncseagrant.org/files/bluefin_slideshow.swf

They are best if they are bled out while alive, and gutted immediately
after.

They probably were bled before tossing in the slush. And only one looks to
not be an Albacore. Since locally we have to go about 30 miles for Albies
when they run, they are normally loined out on the return trip. They are
bled before icing. In San Diego, the boats almost all have raw water
chillers and they bleed the fish and then toss in the chiller and they are
hard as a rock shortly thereafter.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:01:23 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Just going through some of my pictures from last year and found this
one that I'd forgotten about:

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nafeeshci5.jpg

Fresh off a sportfishing charter (not mine unfortunately) at Manteo,
NC. These guys go out into the Gulf Stream via Oregon Inlet which is
a seriously high transom boating venue.

Nice fish although like the others, I'm surprised they didn't
cut/bleed/gut, spinal tap 'em.

When you do that, man, that's some good eating.

.. .

wrote:

Just going through some of my pictures from last year and found this
one that I'd forgotten about:

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nafeeshci5.jpg

Fresh off a sportfishing charter (not mine unfortunately) at Manteo,
NC. These guys go out into the Gulf Stream via Oregon Inlet which is
a seriously high transom boating venue.

Nice fish although like the others, I'm surprised they didn't
cut/bleed/gut, spinal tap 'em.

When you do that, man, that's some good eating.

Are some Albacore tonight that I caught 6 months ago is San Diego. Was
good, and was not even vac packed as I usually do.