Default Tuna Fishing

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

For tuna.

How far offshore do you have to go to fish for Tuna?

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

For tuna.

How far offshore do you have to go to fish for Tuna?

I think he's gone fishing.

You go to where the tuna pods are running. It could be 5 miles, 10 miles or
20 miles.
In Cape Cod Bay where we used to go ... we waited until the tuna migrated up
around the tip of the Cape and into the Bay. We would then chase them all
over Cape Cod Bay, watching for working birds.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

For tuna.

How far offshore do you have to go to fish for Tuna?

I think he's gone fishing.

You go to where the tuna pods are running. It could be 5 miles, 10 miles or
20 miles.
In Cape Cod Bay where we used to go ... we waited until the tuna migrated up
around the tip of the Cape and into the Bay. We would then chase them all
over Cape Cod Bay, watching for working birds.

Eisboch

Eisboch,

How is the Tuna population in the NE? Can the sport fisherman notice a
change in the number or size of Tuna being caught?

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

Eisboch,

How is the Tuna population in the NE? Can the sport fisherman notice a
change in the number or size of Tuna being caught?

You can notice the amount of activity certainly, but actually hooking up and
landing a tuna can be challenging and requires a bit of luck to boot. It's
not uncommon to spend hours, days or even a whole season dragging squid rigs
right through the middle of a working pod and never get a hit.

You need a license to legally fish for tuna. There are several types
ranging from commercial to recreational and for types of gear used. You are
also supposed to report landed and kept catches which is entered into a
database used to report activity and regulate the duration of tuna season
and catch limits. Once you obtain the license it is easily renewed every
year.

Information on obtaining licenses .... catch limits .. activity is available
he

http://www.nmfspermits.com/

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info and the link. I tried to read the "news" info, and
while I saw lots of information, and news of current regulations, I
could not find any news related to the health of the Atlantic fisheries.

It was interesting to note that they now limit longlines to 24 NM. That
is one long longline. I wonder how long the longlines would be if we
didn't limit their size.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

How far offshore do you have to go to fish for Tuna?

Tuna fishing is really the only type of fishing that I actually enjoy. I
can appreciate the interest others have in stripers, blues, cod and even
flounder, which are the predominant fishing activities around here, but I
found I got bored with that.

At the beginning of the 2002 boating season I bought a brandy new 37' Egg
Harbor SportsYacht. It was very nicely equipped inside and out, had a huge
fishwell in the cockpit, live bait well, cockpit sink and freezer plus seven
gunnel mounted rod holders (fixed and swivel), plus outriggers and a center
rig. It cruised at 30+ knots and was ideally set up for offshore fishing.
After the first season of taking friends and work associates out for a day
of cod or striper fishing my brother and I started thinking of doing
charters. I really enjoyed running the boat and the enjoyment people were
getting spending a day on the boat catching fish. Running the boat when
tuna fishing is also an acquired skill that takes practice and most of the
time the boat captain deserves as much credit or more as the angler for
landing a tuna. When the tuna season started I got a recreational license
and we got a tuna the third time out .... which is really unusual for
newbies ... and we earned a reputation as the "lucky" boat at the marina.
(Most of the other boats did commercial charters)

But ... I soon realized the toll that charter fishing would take on the
boat. I was constantly cleaning the interior carpets of fish blood being
tracked all over the place. Plus, the transom and sides of the boat started
getting chips and nicks in the gelcoat from weights smacking into them.
Cleaning the cockpit after returning with 400-600lbs of cod became a chore.
When I looked at some of the other charter boats I realized the abuse they
received doing charters and I decided to forget about it. We did a few more
unsuccessful tuna trips and I ended up selling the Egg after the second
season of ownership.

Eisboch

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message

How is the Tuna population in the NE? Can the sport fisherman notice a
change in the number or size of Tuna being caught?

Forgot to mention. Where Shortwave fishes, he can go after both Bluefin and
Yellofin tuna.
In Cape Cod Bay where I used to fish we rarely, if ever saw Yellowfin, but
many Bluefin.

Most are called "footballs". I've forgotten what the size and weight specs
are, but footballs usually range from under 100 lbs to well over. The goal
is to try for the occasional and rarer "Giant" which can be really huge.
(800lbs or more)

There are regulations regarding what you can keep and what you can't
depending on your license type.
I think my license allowed me to keep one "Giant" per season.

Eisboch