Default Pulling boat out with FWD

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message ...
I was thinking of taking the new boat to the lake this afternoon using
my wife's car. She has a FWD Saturn Vue with the factory larger tires.
It has the towing capacity but a friend warned me that FWD vehicles
may be more likely to spin out pulling a boat out of the water. The
car as electronic traction control. If it slips does it help to let
air out of the tires? I do carry a 10,000 lb tow rope. If someone is
around and I can't get it out I guess I could ask for a pull, but
hopefully I won't have to. Any tricks are appreciated, hopefully it
won't be an issue but I don't want to get stuck.

-Robert

I may have a similar issue to deal with this year. I keep a boat (21' Carolina skiff)
in a neighborhood with a boat ramp. Travel from my place to the ramp
is 3 blocks. I'd like to *attempt* to load and unload the boat with my
Honda Accord. (try not to laugh). It would keep me from driving
a gas guzzler to/from said beach place (approx. 160 miles) *and*
keep me from having to leave a pickup truck down there solely for
that purpose which is what I did last year. I don't think loading the
boat into the water would be a problem. I like to shuttle back/forth
to the beach house in the Honda for obvious reasons.

The ramp is not very steep and there's very little tongue weight by
the trailer.. Ramp wetness would probably be an issue.

Falling tide = wet ramp
Rising tide = dry ramp. (most of the time when I would use it)

db~still trying to decide if this is a good idea.

On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

Check the ramp when it's wet and see if it's slippery. Some ramps are
pretty good even when wet, some slippery as hell!
Senior Member

On Apr 1, 1:47*pm, wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

One time up at the mouth of the CT River (Baldwin Bridge ramp) the
tide had brought in a very thick layer of slippery sea vegatation, it
was literally like ice, and two inches thick up the ramp and out yards
into the water. My Jeep Wrangler had pretty aggressive tires and I
almost slid back into the water a couple of times with a very light,
wooden skiff and trailer, probably less than 1000 pounds. Got water in
over the door openings, I would have been on the news if I had been
driving a front wheel drive, near it's towing capacity. Now, I am not
telling the guy not to do it, but he will need to use his head, even
if someday it might mean waiting some to load up, or being ready to
say, "not this ramp, not today, where else can we put in?". Of course
if he can afford it, a good winch on the front bumper might be a
lifesaver too.

Scotty
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 1, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

pretty good even when wet, some slippery as hell!- Hide quoted text -

Tahts one thing about Lake Carlyle, they Army corps of Engineers keeps
the ramps in great shape. they're rough concrete with lines stricked
across them for good tire grip. wet as all get-out, I've never had a
tire slip yet. and that's pulling out a 23' Marquis with a '90 Mercury
wagon.

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Apr 1, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

You know, Agent has a spell checker. :)

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:17:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Apr 1, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

Ssshhh, don't tell him. You'll take away all the fun.
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Apr 1, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

You gotta love the Corps, and all those who retired from the Corps!
--
John *H*
(Not the other one!)

On Apr 2, 12:15*am, Tim wrote:
On Apr 1, 12:47*pm, wrote:

On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

wagon.- Hide quoted text -

The army corps ramps here are good too! But a lot of times I use a
ramp that's close to one of my favorite spots to fish. The ramp is
private but free. It's concrete but the lot itself is gravel so the
gravel can get on the ramp and make it a little iffy. It's two lanes
wide. One day I was launching and I heard someone coming down beside
me. I look and it's a redneck with a fairly old and heavy looking
runabout hooked to a clapped out Camaro. Now redneck is showing off
his high speed backing abilities apparently. Now remember the gravel
on the ramp. So he's backing his boat down at a damned good clip, hits
the brakes and the front wheels locked up! He got it stopped but he
went down the ramp a LONG ways with the fronts locked up! And the look
on his face was priceless!!!
Senior Member

On Apr 1, 2:37*pm, "D-unit" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

See my above post... Wind = wet ramp, lot's of traffic does too.
Washed up vegitation, mud, and anything else you can think of makes
for what you are calling "wet ramp", too...

wrote in message ...
On Apr 1, 2:37 pm, "D-unit" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

[...]

Sliding back down the ramp into the water is not a pleasant thought.

db

Pulling Out -- OT Vito ASA 18 August 15th 07 10:36 PM
Boat Topic: Coefficient of Friction & Pulling Boat onto Trailer Gary General 20 March 21st 05 08:15 PM
Boat pulling left really bad Lasher UK Power Boats 2 July 15th 03 03:18 AM
Boat pulling to left really bad noah General 1 July 13th 03 02:43 PM