Default Maintenance manuals?

I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
season or so.

-Robert
HK HK is offline

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
season or so.

-Robert

Why don't you stop by a Bayliner dealer, head to the service department,
and ask the service manager for help?

I'm sure he or she could recommend an engine/drive shop
manual for you, based upon your providing serial numbers, and also a
recommended service/maintenance schedule.

The frequency of greasing trailer wheel bearings is more dependent upon
patterns of use than time intervals.

Will you be towing that boat with your Celica? :)

On Mar 31, 1:19*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
season or so.

-Robert

http://www.overtons.com

They'll have the manual you need. See how easy that was Harry?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:58 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
season or so.

-Robert

http://www.selocmarine.com/

Just select the engine make (I assume Mercruiser), your engine
size/model (I'm guessing 5.0 liter) and year (03). The appropriate
manuals will appear.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote
So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
that I can get an idea of how things work.

Personally, I'm a fan of factory service manuals:
http://www.sterndrives.com/mercruisermanuals.html

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:48:07 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:58 -0700 (PDT), Robert M. Gary penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
|I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
|(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
|work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
|that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
|maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
|"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
|he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
|know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
|season or so.

|-Robert

I'd try to get factory manuals, if possible..... I've not heard a lot
of good things about the third party manuals....

Historically, Bayliner has not been very helpful in supplying manuals
past whatever boat is currently on the showroom floor. Maybe they have
changed....

Never had a problem with the SELOC manuals. They are as good are the
factory reprints which are just copies of the originals.

Hell of a lot cheaper too.

On Mar 31, 10:50*am, wrote:
http://www.overtons.com

They'll have the manual you need. See how easy that was Harry?

Awesome! Thanks!
-Robert
HK HK is offline

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Mar 31, 10:50 am, wrote:
http://www.overtons.com

They'll have the manual you need. See how easy that was Harry?

Awesome! Thanks!
-Robert

If these are third party manuals, caveat emptor.
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:58 -0700 (PDT), Robert M. Gary penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
|I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
|(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
|work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
|that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
|maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
|"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
|he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
|know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
|season or so.

|-Robert

I'd try to get factory manuals, if possible..... I've not heard a lot
of good things about the third party manuals....

Historically, Bayliner has not been very helpful in supplying manuals
past whatever boat is currently on the showroom floor. Maybe they have
changed....

The third party manuals usually have a lot of "generic" information and
"generic" photos, and sometimes the information in them is just plain
wrong.

On Mar 31, 4:58*pm, HK wrote:
Gene Kearns wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:19:58 -0700 (PDT), Robert M. Gary penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|I just purchased a 2003 Bayliner 185 w/a 190hp factory option engine.
|I'm a pretty handy guy and generally do all the maintenance on my cars
|(I got 375,000 miles on my Celica and never once had anyone but me
|work on it). So I'm looking for a Haynes or Chilton type of manual
|that I can get an idea of how things work. Also, I'd like to see a
|maintenance schedule. The seller told me to ensure I replaced the
|"impeller" every two years but he wasn't sure what it is. I'm guessing
|he's referring to the engine water pump but I'm not sure. Obviously I
|know that the trailer bearings probably need to be re-greased every
|season or so.

|-Robert

I'd try to get factory manuals, if possible..... I've not heard a lot
of good things about the third party manuals....

Historically, Bayliner has not been very helpful in supplying manuals
past whatever boat is currently on the showroom floor. Maybe they have
changed....

The third party manuals usually have a lot of "generic" information and
"generic" photos, and sometimes the information in them is just plain
wrong.- Hide quoted text -

This from the guy that stated that he isn't capable of working on his
own outboard........

Merc service manuals Fredo General 0 February 7th 07 09:08 AM
Got Alinco ham rig? manuals! Larry Electronics 0 December 5th 05 02:55 AM
Sea Ray service and wiring manuals Sun God Cruising 3 July 6th 05 05:50 AM
Marine engine operation and maintenance manuals F/V KAMIN General 0 April 14th 04 04:38 AM
workshop manuals david c. Cruising 2 February 27th 04 06:53 PM