Default 4 knot winds..."No reason to wear a PFD"..famous last words

COAST GUARD RESPONDS TO CAPSIZED VESSEL
SEATTLE - The Coast Guard responded to a report of a 16-foot aluminum
vessel capsized in the vicinity of Clatsop Spit near Hammond, Ore.,
today.

The reporting source saw the pleasure craft capsized with no persons
visible in the area around 10:45 a.m.

Coast Guard Group Astoria launched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew to
respond to the vessel. Station Cape Disappointment launched a response
boat crew to assist, along with a motor lifeboat crew that was
diverted from training.

A Good Samaritan reported that a body had washed ashore near buoy 20
in Clatsop Spit. Clatsop County Sheriff's Department confirmed that
the individual washed ashore was deceased and not wearing a
lifejacket.

The Clatsop County Sheriff's Department is contacting the family of
the deceased to determine how many persons were onboard the vessel.

While righting the vessel to determine if anyone was inside, and to
gather identification markings, the motor lifeboat crew discovered a
second deceased person.

Weather conditions on scene were four knot winds and 10 mile
visibility.

###

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

[...]

It is tough to convince folks to wear a PFD. I admit that I never do when
out on my boat, nor have I in the past on any of my other boats. I do have
one handy and all aboard know where they are stowed.

If I was boating in near freezing water in a 16 foot aluminum boat I would
probable wear one, although I cannot imagine going out in that size boat in
near freezing water (or water cold enough to cause hypothermia within a
minute or so).

What type of water was this 16 foot aluminum boat running in? Bay, lake,
ocean?

Typically rough water open pacific swells 45 degree water. Reckless in a
sixteen foot skiff

On Feb 23, 1:58�pm, "JimH" wrote:
[...]

ocean?- Hide quoted text -

I am trying to religiously wear my inflatable PFD. There's no reason
not to. It doesn't get in the way of moving around, doesn't weigh
anything, and doesn't exhibit any of the negative characteristics most
folks associate with wearing a pfd. If I'm in the pilothouse on our
36-foot boat, I don't see a real need- except times when I'm
singlehanded. But it sets a good example.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:43:52 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Feb 23, 1:58?pm, "JimH" wrote:
[...]

I think I'm going to stock my boat with four of those things. That way no
adult can complain when asked to wear one. Amazon's got these on sale, and
they seem like a pretty good deal:

http://tinyurl.com/2dohpm

I'll have to have a few for kids also, but they're easier to manage. The
example setting is good.
--
John H

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:56:48 -0500, John H.
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2dohpm

I'll have to have a few for kids also, but they're easier to manage. The
example setting is good.

If I might, I'd like to offer a suggestion.

Don't get the manual for the kids. Been there, done that - you will
spend as much for reloads as the PFD. They love to pull that little
tab don't 'cha know. :)

I have both the auto and manual - guests can use either. I prefer my
Mustang PFD jacket which has auto inflate and I have a lighter Orca
auto that I use all the time - can't even tell I'm wearing it.

I like the Mustang better than the Stearns - they seem to fit every
one much better - a little larger and with more room.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:59:26 -0500, JimH wrote:

For us, our boating is limited to some Spring fishing, summer swimming
and fall fishing and swimming. Only during Spring is the water
temperature an issue for hypothermia. A life jacket is in easy reach
for me at all times while on the boat, as it is for all aboard.

If the water temps are below 80 degrees, hypothermia is an issue, and not
the only one. Cooler temperatures will quickly sap your strength. A
mere 100 yard swim, fully clothed, in @50 degree water, damn near killed
me. The only thing that kept me going, was I knew I was dead if I
stopped swimming.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2dohpm

I'll have to have a few for kids also, but they're easier to manage. The
example setting is good.

If I might, I'd like to offer a suggestion.

Don't get the manual for the kids. Been there, done that - you will
spend as much for reloads as the PFD. They love to pull that little
tab don't 'cha know. :)

I have both the auto and manual - guests can use either. I prefer my
Mustang PFD jacket which has auto inflate and I have a lighter Orca
auto that I use all the time - can't even tell I'm wearing it.

I like the Mustang better than the Stearns - they seem to fit every
one much better - a little larger and with more room.

Thanks. I hadn't seen the Orca on either Amazon or West Marine. I like the
Mustang also.

Kids will have to make do with the regular sports style vests.
--
John H

.. .
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2dohpm

I'll have to have a few for kids also, but they're easier to manage. The
example setting is good.

If I might, I'd like to offer a suggestion.

Don't get the manual for the kids.

Wow..........who wuduv thunk?

Thanks JimH.

For you and your BFF, I've posted a little song, sung by me, 'over there'.
You'll enjoy!
--
John H

On Feb 23, 1:58?pm, "JimH" wrote:

If I was boating in near freezing water in a 16 foot aluminum boat I would
probable wear one, although I cannot imagine going out in that size boat
in
near freezing water (or water cold enough to cause hypothermia within a
minute or so).

What type of water was this 16 foot aluminum boat running in? ?Bay, lake,
ocean?- Hide quoted text -

I am trying to religiously wear my inflatable PFD. There's no reason
not to. It doesn't get in the way of moving around, doesn't weigh
anything, and doesn't exhibit any of the negative characteristics most
folks associate with wearing a pfd. �If I'm in the pilothouse on our
36-foot boat, I don't see a real need- except times when I'm
singlehanded. But it sets a good example.

---------------------------
Knowing the water temperatures you boat in that is probably a wise decision
on your part.

For us, our boating is limited to some Spring fishing, summer swimming and
fall fishing and swimming. �Only during Spring is the water temperature an
issue for hypothermia. � A life jacket is in easy reach for me at all times
while on the boat, as it is for all aboard.

When the kids were young (they boated with us since they were toddlers) they
were always in a heads up PFD. � Once they learned to swim (at an early age)
they would wear them only when underway or in the water. � Eventually, they
were old enough that I did not require them to wear them.

Who knows.....some day I may be one of the CG statistics.......old habits
are hard to break.

The only problem with having the life jacket "within easy
reach".......

You have to know in advance when you're going to go overboard so you
can get it out of the locker and put it on. I'm pretty sure that if
you were to interview 100 people who fell overboard, 90 some of them
would say it was a complete and nasty surprise.

One of the worst things I see in our state is families with young kids
out in a small boat. By state law, kids under 12 years old in open
boats under 19 feet *must* wear a pfd at all times. So we see a boat
with two adults and three young kids, and the kids are all wearing a
pfd but neither of the adults are doing so. Message sent to the kids,
"When you get to be a grownup, you don't have to wear this silly pfd.
Life jackets are for babies".