HK HK is offline

Default Harbingers of Spring

Saw a few spring birds out the yard this morning, so, cold as it is, we
must be getting close to a seasonal change - I hope. Put out some seed
for them in our backyard feeders - they gotta be hungry.

Dug my Garmin GPS out of its winter hiding place, took off the dust
cover, and used my "accessory" two wire cord to plug it in and then
logged onto Garmin's site to see if there was a software update. There
was. Downloaded it, transferred it onto an SD card and...voila! Now, if
warm weather would only get here.

The Garmin system software is fine, but I sure don't have much good to
say about its "Mapsource" software to add waypoints and suchlike from
your computer to the unit. It's klunky.

"HK" wrote in message
Saw a few spring birds out the yard this morning, so, cold as it is, we
must be getting close to a seasonal change - I hope. Put out some seed for
them in our backyard feeders - they gotta be hungry.

Dug my Garmin GPS out of its winter hiding place, took off the dust cover,
and used my "accessory" two wire cord to plug it in and then logged onto
Garmin's site to see if there was a software update. There was. Downloaded
it, transferred it onto an SD card and...voila! Now, if warm weather
would only get here.

The Garmin system software is fine, but I sure don't have much good to say
about its "Mapsource" software to add waypoints and suchlike from your
computer to the unit. It's klunky.

I called their help line yesterday about switching maps on my GPSMAP 60Cx.
After buying the unit at a Costco online sale in October last year, I went
out and bought the Blue chart for coastal Nova Scotia.
Everything worked fine...although I do find the screen a bit small.
For Christmap I received the Topo map software for Canada. Since the 64 mg
microSD memory card can't hold it all...I just added the topo maps for the
Maritime provinces.
Problem was...I didn't know how to switch back and forth from marine to topo
maps on the handheld. It was easy on the computer... but confusing for the
60 Cx.
Took 10 seconds to get the simple steps pointed out and now I'm good to go.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:34:37 -0500, HK wrote:

Saw a few spring birds out the yard this morning, so, cold as it is, we
must be getting close to a seasonal change - I hope. Put out some seed
for them in our backyard feeders - they gotta be hungry.

I usually poison them.

Damn birds.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:34:37 -0500, HK wrote:

Saw a few spring birds out the yard this morning, so, cold as it is, we
must be getting close to a seasonal change - I hope. Put out some seed
for them in our backyard feeders - they gotta be hungry.

I usually poison them.

Damn birds.

You're a sick puppy.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:09:57 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:34:37 -0500, HK wrote:

Saw a few spring birds out the yard this morning, so, cold as it is, we
must be getting close to a seasonal change - I hope. Put out some seed
for them in our backyard feeders - they gotta be hungry.

I usually poison them.

Damn birds.

Kill this little guy? http://tinyurl.com/34kn8y

For shame...
--
John H

On Feb 14, 9:10*am, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:34:37 -0500, HK wrote:
Saw a few spring birds out the yard this morning, so, cold as it is, we
must be getting close to a seasonal change - I hope. Put out some seed
for them in our backyard feeders - they gotta be hungry.

Dug my Garmin GPS out of its winter hiding place, took off the dust
cover, and used my "accessory" two wire cord to plug it in and then
logged onto Garmin's site to see if there was a software update. There
was. Downloaded it, transferred it onto an SD card and...voila! *Now, if
warm weather would only get here.

The Garmin system software is fine, but I sure don't have much good to
say about its "Mapsource" software to add waypoints and suchlike from
your computer to the unit. It's klunky.

You must be doing it wrong, or trying to "guess" how to do it without
bothering to read the manual. There's nothing particularly clunky
about it.

I have no problems with mine, either.

On Feb 14, 9:33*am, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:21:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:10*am, wrote:
[...]

It's VERY complicated!

select the "waypoint tool" which is the little green flag icon in the
menu bar

click on the point where you want to create a waypoint.

a window pops up where you can name the waypoint, (requires typing the
name)

select what icon it will use if other than default black square is
desired (drop down menu)

select what category or categories it will be listed in (check boxes)

Optional: a "comment" if wanted and a few otther parameters. Most of
the time, all you need to do is name it and select what categories you
want it listed under.

Done.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, but you know that Harry probably has a limited addition beta,
not released to the public, only him and three other people in the
world allowed access. Just like his music, and his software! At least
that will be his claim. I wonder if he uses his Garmin on his lobster
boat?

On Feb 14, 9:10 am, wrote:
[...]

Oh, yeah, you have to click on "Okay" after the above grueling and
tortuous procedure.

I have Mapsource open on my computer right now for reference. If I
missed something, please specify what it might be. I'm beginning to
suspect that you do not actually own a Garmin, but made a post based
on some ignorant magazine review written by someone with a skill set
similar to your own.- Hide quoted text -

My 12 year old likes to do my updates, waypoints etc. for me.

On Feb 14, 9:10 am, wrote:
[...]

...and can probably read a book and play a video game while doing it.- Hide quoted text -

Yep!

Where has spring gone? HK General 1 December 8th 07 08:50 PM
Spring? Eisboch General 30 February 27th 07 12:33 AM
Harbingers of Spring Harry the liar General 11 February 26th 05 02:10 PM
Spring... Scott Vernon ASA 28 March 31st 04 12:27 AM
See you all in the spring.... Butch Ammon General 24 December 15th 03 03:23 PM