Default A question about radio, sound, "wave length" etc.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:07:32 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
.. .

What sort of tool would you use to measure wavelength.?

A wavelength measurer, of course.

Dammit - beat me to it.

(Note to self - always read the thread before commenting)

Or, you could use this:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html

Oh - that's neat.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:45:37 -0500, "Jim"
wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message

What sort of tool would you use to measure wavelength.?

A wavelength measurer, of course.
Or, you could use this:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html

Eisboch

I would prefer something simple like a formula or pocket sized measuring
tool. This wavelength stuff just doesn't make sense. I think there must be
more to the equasion besides frequency and meters like the speed of light or
sound or megapixles per googles.

Space monkeys per Barrel times pounds of fish in a basket.

Hey, works for me.

"Jim" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message

What sort of tool would you use to measure wavelength.?

A wavelength measurer, of course.
Or, you could use this:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html

Eisboch

I would prefer something simple like a formula or pocket sized measuring
tool. This wavelength stuff just doesn't make sense. I think there must be
more to the equasion besides frequency and meters like the speed of light
or sound or megapixles per googles.

Wavelength = speed divided by frequency.

For RF, speed is the speed of light, or 186,000 miles per second, or for
antenna length purposes,
299,792,458 meters per second.

Freq is the frequency in hertz or hz or Hz or cycles per second or whatever
they call it now.

You do the math. I use the simple little web page computer calculators,
like:

http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/wavelength.html

Eisboch

Jim Jim is offline

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

I knew you would know that. Tom too.

"Jim" wrote
What sort of tool would you use to measure wavelength.?

A frequency counter.

Jim Jim is offline

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"Jim" wrote
What sort of tool would you use to measure wavelength.?

A frequency counter.

Sombody already answered, but thanks anyway.

"Jim" wrote
Sombody already answered, but thanks anyway.

I know, but I thought you might be interested in a correct answer...

wrote in message

It can be measured using an oscilloscope.

You can measure the amplitude and frequency. You'd have to calculate the
wavelength.

Eisboch

Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:49:50 -0500, "Jim"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:07:42 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 15, 7:50 pm, Tim wrote:
OK, I picked this up on another board,a nd seeing that Eisboch, Tom,
Gene and Larry have had dealings with this stuff. I thought I'd
present it here. It has my curiosity up as well.

I'm not up on physics, concerning this so here goes:

"I searched the web but couldn't find an answer to a simple question
which for my purposes is really a matter of curiosity. Of course,
sometimes these
kinds of questions end up teaching me the most.

Most defintions of wavelength are along the lines of the distance
between points of corresponding phase of two consecutive cycles of a
wave. I'm not
an idiot , so I understand what is a pretty
straightforward definition.

What I don't get is why the term length? I mean, they don't call the
amplitude the waveheight. I kind of think of it as a wavegap. If you
painted a big sine wave on the street and asked me how long it was,
I'd get one
of those little rolling doohickies for measuring and trace the line
through its curve. Without knowing the definition in advance, I
wouldn't think you would
be asking me the straight distance between two points of
corresponding
phase.

I ask this question because I don't understand why it's called what
it's called, not because I want to tell the experts they got it
wrong. It's bugged me for a while, so I've finally decided to take the
plunge and risk looking stupid.

Thanks in advance for any responses or links to read..."

--
Jim Carr

It is called "length" because it truly is a length.

Wavelength is usually stated as "Peak to Peak", or pp

How is it calculated?

It can be measured using an oscilloscope.

I know how to measure amplitude or time with a scope. I just can't figure
out how to measure distance.

wrote in message
On Jan 15, 8:51 pm, wrote:
On Jan 15, 8:33 pm, JG2U wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:50:09 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

[...]

It's the distance, or "length", that the signal in question would
travel while transitioning through a complete cycle.

An audible signal will generally travel at the speed of sound, and
light (different wavelengths, different colors) will travel at the
speed of light.

Does that help?

HOWEVER, Sometimes a wave amplitude can be a length, for example a
wave on the surface of water or a wave on the surface of a drum.
Basically, these are special cases. Sorry, i forgot these obvious
examples.
The x-ray mirrors are seriously shiny but look like small cones with
holes at both ends. They are made of metal (electroformed nickel)
with an inner surface of gold. If you hold them up to the sun, they
will concentrate the sunlight like a parabolic mirror would. I'll
resist the urge to go on and on about how they work and bore you to
death.
NOW, could somebody please explain Hull Speed?- Hide quoted text -

Hull speed is basically the maximum speed at which a displacement type
hull can move through the water before climbing the bow wave and
planing off...

and the power & Sail Squadron teaches us that would be the square root of
your water line x 1.34.
For my old Sandpiper 565..that would be approx 4 x 1.34 = 5.36 knots