Doug Kanter

Default Another "sound" recommendation

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I downloaded a CD last night that just puts it all away for me.

It's Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, a recording from 1954 that includes
some of the very best sides Louis recorded in his later days.
Includes about 15 W.C Handy tunes (St. Louis Blues, Loveless Love, et
cetera), plus AN INTERVIEW with W.C Handy himself. Velma Middleton is the
lead vocalist, along with Louis. Many of the tunes are the same as I
remember from an Armstrong concert I got to attend in the late 1950s in
New York City.

I got it on the Russian pay site, but I's sure iTunes has it, too.

Do you know who the "Funk Brothers" were? No cheating - answer before you
google.

Do you know who the "Funk Brothers" were? No cheating - answer before you
google.

Here's a hint

"James Jamerson"

Don White

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I downloaded a CD last night that just puts it all away for me.

It's Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, a recording from 1954 that includes
some of the very best sides Louis recorded in his later days.
Includes about 15 W.C Handy tunes (St. Louis Blues, Loveless Love, et
cetera), plus AN INTERVIEW with W.C Handy himself. Velma Middleton is the
lead vocalist, along with Louis. Many of the tunes are the same as I
remember from an Armstrong concert I got to attend in the late 1950s in
New York City.

I got it on the Russian pay site, but I's sure iTunes has it, too.

Do you know who the "Funk Brothers" were? No cheating - answer before you
google.

Involved with the 'Motown Sound'?
Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I downloaded a CD last night that just puts it all away for me.

It's Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, a recording from 1954 that
includes some of the very best sides Louis recorded in his later days.
Includes about 15 W.C Handy tunes (St. Louis Blues, Loveless Love, et
cetera), plus AN INTERVIEW with W.C Handy himself. Velma Middleton is the
lead vocalist, along with Louis. Many of the tunes are the same as I
remember from an Armstrong concert I got to attend in the late 1950s in
New York City.

I got it on the Russian pay site, but I's sure iTunes has it, too.

Do you know who the "Funk Brothers" were? No cheating - answer before you
google.

Involved with the 'Motown Sound'?

Yeah. There's an obscure movie out called "Standing in the Shadows of
Motown", a great documentary about the musicians behind the hits. Worth
finding. A friend rented it from Blockbuster, and I got it from Netflix.