Glenn Ashmore

Default How long is a "fid length"

And whose fid? Most splicing instructions say "measure x fid lengths" but
seldom state it in inches or rope diameters. There are several makes and
different lengths of each but there are less fid sizes than there are rope
sizes so how would you define a "fid length"?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jeff

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
And whose fid? Most splicing instructions say "measure x fid lengths" but
seldom state it in inches or rope diameters. There are several makes and
different lengths of each but there are less fid sizes than there are rope
sizes so how would you define a "fid length"?

When I splice NE Rope with instructions from NE Rope, I use a NE Rope
fid to measure.

IIRC, the instructions are often given in terms of rope diameters.
Rich

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

And whose fid? Most splicing instructions say "measure x fid lengths" but
seldom state it in inches or rope diameters. There are several makes and
different lengths of each but there are less fid sizes than there are rope
sizes so how would you define a "fid length"?

The length of a "fid length" varies according to the diameter of the
line being spliced. If you have the proper sized fid for the line yo
wish to spice, the fid itself is the fid length.

Glenn Ashmore

That was my problem. I am trying to splice 1/4" Samson Amsteel Blue and all
they say is "two fid lengths". I use Brion Toss's snare type splicing
wands which work with any braid up to 1" using only two sizes as long as you
know the bury length. The NE Ropes Uni-Fid is also only two sizes so you
need to know the actual bury length there too.

42 diameters is about the same as single braid Technora. Now I wonder why
Samson recommends a simple stitched tuck for Amsteel rather than a locked
Brummel which would be a lot more stable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
That's not much help, as I'm guessing Glen doesn't have a proper size fid.
I certainly don't as there are better tools for splicing.
According to my worksheet using information from Samson, a fid length is
21 times the rope diameter.

"Rich" wrote in message
The length of a "fid length" varies according to the diameter of the
line being spliced. If you have the proper sized fid for the line yo
wish to spice, the fid itself is the fid length.

Garland Gray II

I wasn't familiar with the Brummel until I read the NER directions. That was
after I had already spliced eyes in Amsteel (actually in the stripped core
of Warpspeed) per Samson for my spinnaker guys.
I'm thinking that as long as there are no hard jerks on the line (hmm, that
doesn't sound right), it should be fine.

newsvrPf.487054$0l5.279736@dukeread06...

"Rich" wrote in message
The length of a "fid length" varies according to the diameter of the
line being spliced. If you have the proper sized fid for the line yo
wish to spice, the fid itself is the fid length.

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
And whose fid? Most splicing instructions say "measure x fid lengths" but
seldom state it in inches or rope diameters. There are several makes and
different lengths of each but there are less fid sizes than there are rope
sizes so how would you define a "fid length"?

Interesting question. I can only guess but I think a fid length is
the fid you're using I suspect the variation doesn't matter except
how hard it is to make the splice!

Evan Gatehouse

Gary

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

And whose fid? Most splicing instructions say "measure x fid
lengths" but seldom state it in inches or rope diameters. There are
several makes and different lengths of each but there are less fid
sizes than there are rope sizes so how would you define a "fid length"?

Interesting question. I can only guess but I think a fid length is the
fid you're using I suspect the variation doesn't matter except how
hard it is to make the splice!

Evan Gatehouse

Check this link:

http://www.cbknot.com/splicing.htm
Terry K

Right sized fid for rope spliced...

Rule of thumb. You gotta make allowances, and then pull it tight.

You gonna do it, or get someone else to?

Terry K

Glenn Ashmore

I do my own splicing and have gotten pretty good at it if I do say so
myself. For splicing double braid I usually take the diameter in 16ths, add
half again the numerator and bury that number of inches. For example 1/2"
rope is 8/16 and half again of 8 is 12 so bury 12". That is a little longer
than the 21 diameters so it works great but this is the first really high
tech single braid I have spliced and it is notoriously slick so I know it
needs more bury but "two fid lengths" doesn't help when you don't use that
manufacturer's fids.

Still think that a double Brummel would work better than a tuck and stitch
though. ;-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Terry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
Right sized fid for rope spliced...

Rule of thumb. You gotta make allowances, and then pull it tight.

You gonna do it, or get someone else to?

Terry K

Grist for the discussion mill....(long)... [email protected] General 3 January 24th 06 04:17 AM
Long Beach, Miss? Scout ASA 5 November 22nd 05 06:20 PM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM