Default Speaking of evangelizing and proselytizing.....

A new law took effect in California this month.

All gasoline powered marine inboards sold in the state must be fitted
with a catalytic converter. I guess if these prove effective, we'll
all be converted to catalysism sooner or later. :-)

The major concern in the past has been the enormous amount of heat
that a catalytic converter requires in order to work. From what I
understand, the converters are mounted immediately behind the exhaust
manifold, and the cooling water is introduced into the exhaust line
after the converter has done its job.

Even so, at least some of the systems include a system that restricts
engine rpm to 2500 if the catalytic converter overheats. One
manufacturer has been quoted as "this slower speed will give the
boater several minutes to shut down before the increased heat begins
to melt nearby rubber hoses and belts."

Lovely......

That means I'll be keeping my current boat for a long time.

We do all we can to "marinize" engines to keep possible ignition sources to
a minimum, then they put cats (that can get red hot) in the engine
compartment. Friggin' brilliant.

--Mike

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
[...]

Where did you here this. I have not seen any mailings on it, or the local
boating boards. I think only one manufacturer has built a cat converter for
a boat.

On Jan 15, 5:36�pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
[...]

a boat.- Hide quoted text -

Exhibit A: an email,

Hi Chuck,

It was nice talking with you at the Yacht Club on Weds. The article I
referred you to about California requirements for catalytic converter
requirements for gas engine boats wasn't in Yachting magazine. It was
on page 20 of the January issue of Sea magazine. It says the only
boats exempted are those in the distribution pipeline. I'm assuming
that only new boats are required to have cat. converters and that
there's more to it than this short article refers to. Let me know what
you find out.

Rick

Which prompted me to do some research and discover confirmation at the
Advantage Boats website:

Exhibit B:

I also want to take this opportunity to explain some changes taking
place in the recreational boating industry that will affect California
buyers of new boats beginning January 1, 2008. It isn't any surprise
that recreational boating has become more closely scrutinized by
governmental agencies regarding exhaust emissions control, and the
California Air Resources Board (CARB) has recently established new,
stricter regulations which will affect California new boat purchasers
next year. In preparation for that, here are some things all boat
owners should know.

The new CARB lower emissions standard on gasoline marine inboard /
stern drive engines only pertains to new boats purchased after January
1, 2008,not existing boats owned and registered prior to that date.

This new exhaust emission standard is only a California law and does
not affect any of the other 49 states.

The new California law only pertains to inboard engines of 500
horsepower or less (for example, Mercury Racing, Ilmor, Teague, etc.
high performance engines are not presently affected).

If you purchase a new boat from Advantage after January 1, 2008 and
plan to register that boat in California, it will be equipped with an
inboard engine that meets the new CARB emissions standard. Mercury
Marine and other engine manufacturers will be supplying boat builders
with California compliant engines (standard equipped with catalytic
converters).

If you wish to purchase a new boat from Advantage without a California
compliant engine (no catalytic converter), you must be prepared to
register that boat in any state other than California.

Undoubtedly this situation will create temporary confusion in the
marketplace. I bring this up now, especially for California resident
boaters in case they want to accelerate their purchase plans and beat
the January 1, 2008 deadline which allows them to buy and register the
standard (non-catalyzed) engine package in their state.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:45:23 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

Undoubtedly this situation will create temporary confusion in the
marketplace. I bring this up now, especially for California resident
boaters in case they want to accelerate their purchase plans and beat
the January 1, 2008 deadline which allows them to buy and register the
standard (non-catalyzed) engine package in their state.

I wonder if this will effect four stroke outboards?

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
Undoubtedly this situation will create temporary confusion in the
marketplace. I bring this up now, especially for California resident
boaters in case they want to accelerate their purchase plans and beat
the January 1, 2008 deadline which allows them to buy and register the
standard (non-catalyzed) engine package in their state.

I wonder if this will effect four stroke outboards?

four stroke anyboad....

I wonder if this will effect four stroke outboards?

From Chuck's post:

"The new CARB lower emissions standard on gasoline marine inboard /
stern drive engines only pertains to new boats purchased after January
1, 2008,not existing boats owned and registered prior to that date."

Jeeze, don't give them any more ideas .....

Eisboch

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:58:23 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .

I wonder if this will effect four stroke outboards?

From Chuck's post:

"The new CARB lower emissions standard on gasoline marine inboard /
stern drive engines only pertains to new boats purchased after January
1, 2008,not existing boats owned and registered prior to that date."

Jeeze, don't give them any more ideas .....

Good point.

Speaking of the Chesapeake, anyone know what this is? Steve Cruising 6 September 27th 07 10:02 PM
Speaking of music... [email protected] General 3 September 1st 06 07:49 PM
Speaking of tomatoes - OT JohnH General 4 August 9th 06 04:51 PM
Speaking of Tax Refunds... jps General 0 April 18th 06 04:45 AM
Speaking of noodlin'.. Doug Kanter General 0 March 2nd 06 04:24 PM