Default Speaking of the Chesapeake, anyone know what this is?

It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

Steve

Steve wrote:

It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

Steve

Would you see a wake? It looks like a ship to me. Maybe one that is
anchored.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:38:06 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Steve wrote:

It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

Steve

Would you see a wake? It looks like a ship to me. Maybe one that is
anchored.

Whenever you're asked to look at blotch and give an opinion on what
is, just say "Cincinnati Reds."
Works every time.

--Vic

On 2007-09-26 08:26:30 -0400, Steve said:

It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

My

vote is oil slick. It's pretty huge compared to the boats to the east,
and the smaller blobs to the south follow usual traffic flows, as if a
big boat started losing oil and stopped when the engine complained. As
it's well east off the major channel and even pretty far off of the
eastern one, I suspect a largish private boat, not heavy metal, as I
believe the currents are strongly north/south in that narrows.
Whomever, that's pretty black.

Interesting pic, though: First time I've seen a spacial discontinuity
like that in the middle of the bridge.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

wrote:

Steve wrote:

It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

Steve

Would you see a wake? It looks like a ship to me. Maybe one that is
anchored.

If it was moving, you'd see a wake. They're very visible on all the
other boats in the area.

Steve

On 2007-09-26 08:26:30 -0400, Steve said:

[...]

I drive across that bridge a lot and never noticed it shift like that.
Seems like all the cars would just fall right in.

Steve

Steve wrote:
It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

Steve

A. I have been over this bridge many times and there is nothing there.
B. I am nearly positive it is an artifact from scanning.

Help the Chesapeake! John H. General 0 April 27th 07 09:38 PM
Somewhere on the Chesapeake [email protected] Cruising 2 September 17th 05 02:20 AM
Bad day on the Chesapeake Bay! John H General 34 May 28th 05 05:34 AM
Chesapeake Bay needs some help! John H General 2 March 20th 04 01:22 PM
Chesapeake Bay Ice Al Kubeluis General 6 February 28th 04 02:47 AM