Al Kubeluis

Default Chesapeake Bay Ice

Hi Boaters (or Landlubbers),
A bay waterman who had just come into St. Michaels harbor breaking
through ice in his Kinnamon 44' workboat told me that he has lost more work
days due to ice this year than any year in his 17 years on the bay.
On Harris Creek off the Choptank, we've had more ice than I've seen in
the 6 years I've been here. Going over the Bay Bridge by Annapolis I've seen
more ice than I have ever seen there before.
Have you had more than normal ice in your areas?
Al Kubeluis

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:55:55 -0500, "Al Kubeluis"
wrote:

Hi Boaters (or Landlubbers),
A bay waterman who had just come into St. Michaels harbor breaking
through ice in his Kinnamon 44' workboat told me that he has lost more work
days due to ice this year than any year in his 17 years on the bay.
On Harris Creek off the Choptank, we've had more ice than I've seen in
the 6 years I've been here. Going over the Bay Bridge by Annapolis I've seen
more ice than I have ever seen there before.
Have you had more than normal ice in your areas?
Al Kubeluis

Define normal.

The past few years, the ice season on the local lakes has been short
and frankly, this year it looks to be about the same in terms of
length. Looking over actual records of ice, it would appear that this
winter has been about "normal".

The amount of ice is higher than it's been for the past four/five
years - average ice depth on Webster lake was around 8/10 inches.
Normal is about 6/8 inches when it's there.

Our local lakes average 12/15 feet of depth with the bigger lakes
averaging 17/20 feet which means they warm up quickly once the air
temp gets to the 40s during the days and the sun starts to set past
5:30 PM. Usually by the end of the first week of March, we see open
water and by the second week of March, we can actually get out and
fish. This year looks to be delayed about a week/week and a half.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10
Steven Shelikoff

wrote:

Hi Boaters (or Landlubbers),
A bay waterman who had just come into St. Michaels harbor breaking
through ice in his Kinnamon 44' workboat told me that he has lost more work
days due to ice this year than any year in his 17 years on the bay.
On Harris Creek off the Choptank, we've had more ice than I've seen in
the 6 years I've been here. Going over the Bay Bridge by Annapolis I've seen
more ice than I have ever seen there before.
Have you had more than normal ice in your areas?
Al Kubeluis

This has been one of the coldest winters on record in the mid atlantic
so it's not surprising there's more ice than usual. I think Phila in
Jan and early Feb had one of the most number of days in history where
the temp didn't get above freezing.

Steve
Calif Bill

wrote:

[...]

Dang Global Warming.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

It's so warm in North Carolina that they have a foot of snow in
Charlotte!!!

Damn, that's some heat wave!!!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

Don White

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message
Dang Global Warming.

It's so warm in North Carolina that they have a foot of snow in
Charlotte!!!

Damn, that's some heat wave!!!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

At least it'll melt quickly down there.
On the front page of our local newspaper is a picture if an 18 wheeler that
went into a ditch during our blizzard last week.
It's still there 8 days later with just the grill and a bit of the
windshield peeking up out of the snow.

QLW

I've also seen an unusual amount of ice around our piers here on Galveston
Bay this winter. It can mainly be found floating in glasses of coke and
ginger ale where we add alcohol to help with the melting process. {;-)
Quinton