Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Speaking of the Chesapeake, anyone know what this is?

On 2007-09-26 08:26:30 -0400, Steve said:

It's not on a chart that I can see. I don't think it's a ship.
There's no wake and no detail like a ship would have. An oil spill?
It could be just a smudge on the picture. There's a few more blobs
like it just to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.98...07832&z=17&t=k

My

vote is oil slick. It's pretty huge compared to the boats to the east,
and the smaller blobs to the south follow usual traffic flows, as if a
big boat started losing oil and stopped when the engine complained. As
it's well east off the major channel and even pretty far off of the
eastern one, I suspect a largish private boat, not heavy metal, as I
believe the currents are strongly north/south in that narrows.
Whomever, that's pretty black.

Interesting pic, though: First time I've seen a spacial discontinuity
like that in the middle of the bridge.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD