HK HK is offline

Default Bombardier Kills Johnson

The end of Johnson outboards?

By IBI Magazine

Reports published in the US indicate that Bombardier Recreational
Products (BRP) has ceased building Johnson branded outboards and will
build no more in 2008. This effectively puts an end to the iconic brand.
According to the reports, BRP said that it would be focusing all of its
efforts on Evinrude branded E-TEC engines. BRP indicated that it
recognised the value of the Johnson name and was evaluating if and how
it could leverage it in the future. BRP offices in Switzerland and
Belgium did not return calls when efforts were made to determine how
this move will affect Johnson dealers in Europe.

(14 January 2008)
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
The end of Johnson outboards?

By IBI Magazine

Reports published in the US indicate that Bombardier Recreational Products
(BRP) has ceased building Johnson branded outboards and will build no more
in 2008. This effectively puts an end to the iconic brand. According to
the reports, BRP said that it would be focusing all of its efforts on
Evinrude branded E-TEC engines. BRP indicated that it recognised the value
of the Johnson name and was evaluating if and how it could leverage it in
the future. BRP offices in Switzerland and Belgium did not return calls
when efforts were made to determine how this move will affect Johnson
dealers in Europe.

(14 January 2008)

http://tinyurl.com/23cgv3

I had a 50's vintage small (2 or 3 hp) Johnson Sea-Horse that I eventually
sold to a collector a half dozen or so years ago. The thing ran like a
champ and looked like it just came out of the box.

Damn! I would have bought it. Really. I've been shopping for an almost
new Lighttwin or Ducktwin.

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:48:39 -0500, HK wrote:

The end of Johnson outboards?

By IBI Magazine

Reports published in the US indicate that Bombardier Recreational
Products (BRP) has ceased building Johnson branded outboards and will
build no more in 2008. This effectively puts an end to the iconic brand.
According to the reports, BRP said that it would be focusing all of its
efforts on Evinrude branded E-TEC engines. BRP indicated that it
recognised the value of the Johnson name and was evaluating if and how
it could leverage it in the future. BRP offices in Switzerland and
Belgium did not return calls when efforts were made to determine how
this move will affect Johnson dealers in Europe.

That's been a rumor for a while now - guess they are finally getting
around to pulling the trigger.

There had been talk of rebranding Johnson with new four stroke tech
and keeping Johnson's in small engines - 40 and under. Now the rumor
is that BRP might expand the ETEC line down instead of having Johnson
be a different technology, but I can't see how unless they are going
wtih different injectors and EMM system.

Don't know - it puts a hole in the BRP line at the lower end of the
horsepower range.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
[...]

Speaking of horsepower, the new diesel tundra looks like it'll be an 8
liter six, developing 300+ hp. A Hino engine.
Dan Dan is offline

HK wrote:
[...]

Hino is Toyota. I have three of them.

Tim Tim is offline

Chrysler dropped Plymouth, and GM dropped Oldsmobile, I've often
wondered why they kept the Johnson, or Evinrude name around for so
long, seeing FAIK they were the same engines with different cowling.

Tim wrote:
[...]

In the good old days of real men in real boats, Evinrude and Johnson
offered outboards in alternating horsepowers, to a point. They also
offered identical engines with slightly different cowls and different
paint jobs.

My dad was an Evinrude dealer for a long, long time. His best friend was
a Johnson dealer. Sometimes they'd be shopped by a customer who would
try to get one or the other of them to differentiate between the two
engines qualitatively. That was always good for a laugh.

The Johnson dealer, my father's friend, did have a competitive
advantage. His father owned the sports arena in our city and was also
commissioner of the NBA, so he always had some sports tickets around to
sweeten the deal.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:22:11 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

wondered why they kept the Johnson, or Evinrude name around for so
long, seeing FAIK they were the same engines with different cowling.

No theiy aren't and haven't been since '99.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:41:27 -0500, HK wrote:

The Johnson dealer, my father's friend, did have a competitive
advantage. His father owned the sports arena in our city and was also
commissioner of the NBA, so he always had some sports tickets around to
sweeten the deal.

I didn't know that Walter Kennedy owned a marine dealership or an
arena.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:41:27 -0500, HK wrote:

The Johnson dealer, my father's friend, did have a competitive
advantage. His father owned the sports arena in our city and was also
commissioner of the NBA, so he always had some sports tickets around to
sweeten the deal.

I didn't know that Walter Kennedy owned a marine dealership or an
arena.

I thought he was talking about Maurice Podoloff, but it doens't make
sense why a lawyer and NBA commissioner would be out cutting deals and
offering sports tickets to people buying a marine engine.

Nope, sounds like a Lobster boat to me.