Default Handicapping Iowa...

I think you're correct that fear and inability to face their
own or loved ones mortality is behind a lot of religious belief.

For certain personalities, I would agree.

However, belief in an afterlife and belief in a Creator don't
necessarily go hand-in-hand.

I think it's just as difficult to believe in "nothing" as it is to believe
in "something" .... maybe even more difficult. To believe in something is
the default condition of the human mind I suspect, regardless of any
religious brain washing that occurs during a lifetime.

When my head is in logic mode none of the religious teachings and/or
explanations make any sense in terms of creation. I can even understand and
accept the concept of "nothing" after death.

But, where the heck did that super compressed, fantastically dense matter
the size of a sub-atomic particle that exploded as the "Big Bang", resulting
in the universe and everything in it come from? That "nothing" is beyond
my comprehension so far.

Meanwhile, religion serves many people well and I, for one, have no problem
with that. I respect the right to their beliefs.

There's another current issue somewhat related to this, but I'll present
that in another post sometime.

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Jan 5, 10:33*am, JG2U wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:03:01 -0600, Vic Smith

wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:34:43 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Yep - that one surprized me that's for sure. *What interests me is
that Huckabee would be the ideal Democrat candidate. *What he proposes
isn't conservative Republican in any sense of the word. *I think he
was selected on the strength of his faith and his pro-life stance - in
ever other aspect, he's a Democrat.

He was selected because he exudes decency and leadership.
There is no such thing as "conservative Republican." *That's a term
ideologues use for different purposes, and with different motives.
Don't know what kind of Prez he would be, but I like Huckabee.
I'm not religious, but have no fear of Huckabee.
We share many values.
*Any* major candidate of either party - excepting Guiliani - will be a
vast improvement over those currently in power.
The only one that gives me pause is Obama, because he might have
Snoop Doggy Dog performing at White House events that I could stumble
upon watching television. *I generally don't like rap music. *

--Vic

And he's a proven liar. *Ever seen the speech he gave at that Alabama
church picked apart? *Obama stood in church and lied repeatedly about
his father's and his own life's events, timelines, etc. *All just to
fit in with the occasion and to pander to the congregation.

The guy presents well, but he's a bit slimey. *But pretty much all of
them are. *Some much more than others.

------------------------

The Billary Whitehouse. *The most sold-out in history!
(sorry freakin)- Hide quoted text -

it is open intellectual property... I
Senior Member

On Jan 5, 10:33*am, HK wrote:
JG2U wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 02:01:10 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

If you read all the way to the bottom of the item, you'll see that
your link actually validates my point about some Christians who
describe themselvs as "evangelical" (including the Methodist preacher
quoted)
having difficulty with Romney's Mormon faith.

From your link:
Evangelicals are hugely influential in the Iowa caucuses, making up by
some estimates some 40 percent of Republican caucus-goers. Many of
them, however, have profound reservations about Mr. Romney's Mormon
faith.
Mr. Hurd, the pastor of West Hill United Methodist Church here who
identified himself as an evangelical, said he wrestled with that issue
himself but decided in the end it should not matter in his decision.
"Although they have a theology vastly different from mine, Mormons
generally are good citizens," he said.
Mr. Hurd also offered some insight into where his fellow Alliance
board members are leaning. He said they are mainly divided between Mr.
Romney and Mr. Huckabee, with the latter probably holding the edge.
"A lot of them are troubled by his Mormon religion," he said. "That's
probably the difference."

*******

So there's a statement, by an Iowa pastor describing himself as
"evangelical", confirming that many Christians of his acquaintance are
"troubled by (Romney's) Mormon religion."

Not quite... there are no quotes around evangelical in the article. So
it didn't come out of his mouth, but probably went something like
this:
"Do you evangelize as part of your faith?"
"Yes."
"So would you consider yourself an evangelical Christian?"
"I suppose."

My whole point continues to be that it is the *media* who seems to
find the labels "evangelical" and "fundamentalist" (which *you*
improperly used) important, not Christians themselves.

And also that there are Christians who do not have a problem with the
Mormon faith. *Sure some do, but there are groups who are opposed to
Romney for other reasons as well. *So? *Weird people everywhere.

twisted logic deleted

Huckabee is a perfect match for the GOP base.- Hide quoted text -

No he is not... you just want him in because your candidates are so
weak...

Eisboch wrote:

But, where the heck did that super compressed, fantastically dense matter
the size of a sub-atomic particle that exploded as the "Big Bang", resulting
in the universe and everything in it come from? That "nothing" is beyond
my comprehension so far.

The big bang would definitely qualify as a "greater power".

Senior Member

On Jan 6, 6:01*pm, HK wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 01:01:40 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
"Reggie is Here wrote:

Do you know this person:
*http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/off...personId=14243

Not cool Reg.

What would you expect from Reggie? Coolness?
He's an a**hole, and has been since his first day here under his older
"non-Reggie" identities.

--
George W. Bush - the 43rd Best President Ever!

And yet, you are the only one here who has been caught having a conv
with himself with a spoofed id... Remember the Lobsta' Boat...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"-rick-" wrote in message
. ..

I think you're correct that fear and inability to face their own or loved
ones mortality is behind a lot of religious belief.

I think you just hit the nail on the head, rick. It's the common thread
throughout all the world's religions.

Eisboch

That, and the fact that some people are very uncomfortable if they don't
have answers to all of life's questions. So, they answer them by assigning
yet another mystery.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 06:50:34 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

But, where the heck did that super compressed, fantastically dense matter
the size of a sub-atomic particle that exploded as the "Big Bang", resulting
in the universe and everything in it come from? That "nothing" is beyond
my comprehension so far.

I agree.

Somebody had to light the match. :)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 06:50:34 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

But, where the heck did that super compressed, fantastically dense matter
the size of a sub-atomic particle that exploded as the "Big Bang",
resulting
in the universe and everything in it come from? That "nothing" is beyond
my comprehension so far.

I agree.

Somebody had to light the match. :)

Even Einstein couldn't answer that one.

Hey, next time you a chatting with some of your "other world" friends, run
it by them and find out what their take is on the question.

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Jan 7, 7:47*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in messagenews:m574o31eio7s75uodnjfk8qlqdd3383udp@4ax .com...

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 06:50:34 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

But, where the heck did that super compressed, fantastically dense matter
the size of a sub-atomic particle that exploded as the "Big Bang",
resulting
in the universe and everything in it come from? * That "nothing" is beyond
my comprehension so far.

I agree.

Somebody had to light the match. *:)

Even Einstein couldn't answer that one.

Hey, next time you a chatting with some of your "other world" friends, run
it by them and find out what their take is on the question.

Eisboch

Heh,,, they think it was Tom.

Iowa River Rats John Ernst Touring 0 May 27th 04 05:36 AM
Canoeing Iowa John Ernst Touring 2 May 25th 04 01:40 AM
FS in Iowa C.K.G.-B. General 4 April 7th 04 01:17 PM
FS in Iowa C.K.G.-B. General 0 April 1st 04 03:55 AM
FS in Iowa C.K.G.-B. Crew 0 March 30th 04 08:27 PM